Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to get the starter contact issue where it won’t do a thing and takes several key turns to initiate a start. What am I looking at price wise for a Toyota mechanic to replace that. Is it too much of a job for me considering I’m intermediate level

No idea if it's too much of a job for you, that's subjective. If you'd be comfortable removing the entire intake, keeping a pile of vacuum hoses in order, and have the tools to get to some bolts in odd places, then maybe. There's several youtube vids on it.

1601817844468.png

Starting to get the starter contact issue where it won’t do a thing and takes several key turns to initiate a start. What am I looking at price wise for a Toyota mechanic to replace that. Is it too much of a job for me considering I’m intermediate level
I’m just wrapping mine up. I’m not a good mechanic. Generally speaking I can always figure a way to get stuff done, I may just be slower to get it done. My biggest issue is not being prepared for parts. I broke some brittle connector housings, ordered the manifold gaskets, and last night I bent the hell out of the fuel line. That being said, I’d say I’m still money ahead. I’m now much more familiar with the rig, which will benefit me in future problems/troubleshooting. I say go for it.

I did it twice. I'm not an avid mechanic, but my budget for my toys repairs doesn't permit paying someone else to maintain them.
First time was in rush, the day before of going on vacation to a very remote location, so in the desperation ended up buying an aftermarket starter at autozone that lasted 1 year.
I had help the first time around, took us 8 hours.
The second time, now with a reman toyota starter, took me 6 hour to do it by myself. It's not hard, just a lot of work and in very uncomfortable positions.
Don't be afraid to do it, take pictures of hoses and connectors.
Make sure you torque all intake bolts to spec (a $15 harbor freight torque wrench is more than enough for this)
Replace intake gaskets, they are cheap.
Even if you have to buy all the tools, you'll be at least $500 ahead by DIY.

Hey, did you end up tackling the job? I’m thinking I’m there now to. I was thinking my issue was poor connection at the battery, because one of the terminals was lose. Got that squared away and still doing it😟.

For everyone else, how much harder than a power steering pump? I just replaced that and thought it was pretty simple!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom