Starter wiring help- SBC, Holly sniper with Hyperspark distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, I could use some help.

The TL;DR version of my question is in the second post, if you're more of a "hurry up and get to the point" kind of person. ;)

Situation:
  • 1976 (9/75) US spec FJ40
  • small block Chevy 350 swapped in by previous owner
  • I'm 3 years into a frame-off restomod. I'm in the assembly phase (so fun!!)
  • Previous setup included an HEI distributor, which I now understand means that the ignition coil was integrated into the distributor
  • I sprung for an upgrade- I'm installing a Holley Sniper EFI, and I'm using their hyperspark distributor so that the sniper can control ignition timing. I'm working through the wiring now.
Problem: I can't figure out how to wire the starter. I know there are three connections needed:
  1. Heavy gauge power to the battery (no problem here)
  2. Black wire with white stripe (no problem here- I labeled this wire adequately)
  3. Black wire with yellow stripe (this is where I need help)
The heavy gauge Black/Yellow wire used to connect to the HEI distributor. From some diagrams I've seen on this forum trying to research my solution, there should be another smaller gauge black/yellow wire that goes from the distributor to the third post on the starter solenoid. The Hyperspark distributor has a pre-wired connector that integrates into the EFI system, and doesn't appear to have any wiring provisions for the starter.

So I have a heavy guage black/yellow wire that used to go to the distributor, and I don't know what to do with it. Some of the diagrams I've seen imply that the smaller gauge black/yellow wire is just spliced into the heavy gauge black/yellow wire. In which case, I would conclude that I could just connect the heavy black/yellow wire directly to the starter solenoid. But I don't want to fry anything, and I don't actually understand what I'm doing.

Hopefully my explanation is clear. Any help you can provide is highly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
PS, this is the diagram I came across in my search on this forum. Can I simply connect the heavy black/yellow wire straight to the starter solenoid?

CHEV8.jpg

PS, this is the diagram I came across in my search on this forum. Can I simply connect the heavy black/yellow wire straight to the starter solenoid?

View attachment 2264988
Pierps, I have the same set up, but can't help with the b/y wire because I never had one. I bought my 40 - 25 years ago and it came to me without an engine. I have fundamentally rewired every thing, but if I can help with any thing else just let me know. I don't use the HEI. I bought and use the HyperSpark. I know the HEi can be made to work, but the HyperSpark just works out of the box. Assuming every thing else is install correctly, it starts with the first turn of the key! I'm no pro but the Sniper / Hyper Spark is an excellent combo.

Glad to hear- I'm really looking forward to getting her running!

Since you have the same setup, can I ask a huge favor? Your starter will have a big heavy gauge wire that goes to the battery, and (maybe) two other connections. If you are so willing, could trace the other two wires to see where they go? They might be buried in your wiring looms, so it might not be possible for you to see where they connect. If not, no worries.

Thanks!!

Large wire from the battery goes to the large top post. Wire from the "Start" post on your ignition switch goes to the smaller inside post on your starter (closest to engine). Wire from the "Ignition" post on your ignition switch goes to the positives post on your coil, but also goes to the outside post on your starter, it gives you extra voltage only when starting. Sooooo, your drawing above is correct.

Large wire from the battery goes to the large top post. Wire from the "Start" post on your ignition switch goes to the smaller inside post on your starter (closest to engine). Wire from the "Ignition" post on your ignition switch goes to the positives post on your coil, but also goes to the outside post on your starter, it gives you extra voltage only when starting. Sooooo, your drawing above is correct.

Got it. Thanks so much- I'm sad Downey's gone, but I'm glad Jim isn't! :)

So at the risk of putting too fine a point on it, it's okay for me to skip the distributor with the black/yellow wire since my distributor is controlled separately by the Sniper computer. I can simply wire the heavy gauge black/yellow wire straight to the outside post on the starter. Yes?

my question for the more visually inclined.... behold, my visual design skills.

CHEV8.jpg

Pierps, I have the same set up, but can't help with the b/y wire because I never had one. I bought my 40 - 25 years ago and it came to me without an engine. I have fundamentally rewired every thing, but if I can help with any thing else just let me know. I don't use the HEI. I bought and use the HyperSpark. I know the HEi can be made to work, but the HyperSpark just works out of the box. Assuming every thing else is install correctly, it starts with the first turn of the key! I'm no pro but the Sniper / Hyper Spark is an excellent combo.

@cruiserlad: You’re using a HyperSpark in a 2F? Which model HyperSpark? I’m about to do a Sniper install on my 60, and the HyperSpark would be cool.

Think about everything as individual components, what power they need and where the power should come from. What does it take to run the starter? What does it take to run the fuel injection? What does it take to fire the plugs? As long as each component gets what it needs the engine will run. Where you choose to bring the power from should be laid out in the manuals for that item. Try and think of it as in the "KISS" saying, take it one step at a time and things will work out.

Last edited:
Hmm...

The black / yellow wire, I don't have anything like that going to the starter. Am confused on what it would do? Not sure I've seen a connection on my starter for another wire. Provide 12v to the starter while the engine is running (why would it need power while the engine is running?)?

I have seen diagrams for the original wiring that had a wire running from the starter to the resistor on the original coils (on the coil side, bypassing the resistor). I though the idea there was to bypass the resistor and supply a full 12v to the coil while starting. (not sure why you wouldn't always want that, but I assume some kinda historical purpose still using 40 year old coils and points?)

I installed an HEI distributor pretty quick after getting my FJ40 (barely ran with the original distributor, which looked like the PO modified, possibly poorly installed pertronix? there were no points in it). And, I ain't got no wire from the starter to the distributor, don't understand why I would want one.

(Is this some kinda Chevy starter thing?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom