starter weirdness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the starter in my 60 started doing something odd yesterday and also today.
when i turn the key i sounds like it's pulling current but nothing happens. Turn the key a second time and it starts like there is not problem.

time for new starter?
clean the wires?
put in new wires?
the battery is a newer red top, and the voltometer reads 12v when i turn the key.

Either the brushes in the starter are gettin old or your wires are.

I would replace the wires first (super easy and cannot hurt)

Check your positive connection and negative connection
Also might wanna go ahead and order new contacts for your soleniod now.. Not hard to put in yerself

thanks mace,

gives me a place to start, i'll change the wires and see what happens

i have been beating the hell out of this thing latley, i bet most of the wire have been working themselves loose.

beaufort-fj60 said:
i have been beating the hell out of this thing latley, i bet most of the wire have been working themselves loose.
That's what I like to hear ;)

I revived my starter for about 4 months with periodic sraying of WD40 right into the front of it. I suppose it cleaned off the brushes or something. Oh sure, your thinking there's a chance of fire. But isn't there always? I got a gear reduction starter from Robert at liquid off-road for cheap. It took a week and half to get here but I saved a bundle.

starter solenoid.....not engaging when you turn the key and supply power to the starter motor

my 2¢,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Well, my experiment of using mental telepathy to will the starter to fix itself has failed. It has reached to point of turning the key 5 to 10 times with intermittent almost half starts.

Stopped by Advance Auto Parts, they had two starter options:

1. a Worldwide brand starter and solenoid $118.88
2. a GP Sorensen brand solenoid $108.88

Is the starter body really only worth $10?, I figured the solenoid would be $10 and the starter $108.88.

Last edited:
I went with the gear reduction denso. It' much better that the original and (i was told), draws less power. It will outlive my truck for sure. Maybe 145$ from Robert at liquid off road. Did you try that WD40 thing at all?

Fearnofish! said:
I went with the gear reduction denso. It' much better that the original and (i was told), draws less power. It will outlive my truck for sure. Maybe 145$ from Robert at liquid off road. Did you try that WD40 thing at all?

to be honest, did not try sheot yet. I'll check out the gear reduction denso, just looking at the options before I lift a wrench.

Save yer self some bucks . . .

remove starter (and solenoid that's attached)

open up solenoid housing - carefully.

clean 'innards' as best as possible : deluge wash w/ WD...

Clean, or replace, contacts

just 'slick' solenoid slug & bendix area with some lube (30 wt)

re-assemble / reinstall, be happy . . .

Mine did same thing few yr ago. 'crud' in solenoid wouldn't let 'slug' move. too many dunkings in swamp water...

Oh, my rig is over 409,000 mile - factory orig starter . . .

Last edited:
sweet, thanks soggy

yeah it just started doing this crap in the last week or so, I have been working on a muddy swampy job and I am sure the starter has been dunked and soaked for a few weeks solid.

Last edited:
Cleaning the sol is a quick fix but I would be afraid of getting stuck in BFE. While i was tring to extend the life of mine I carried around all the stuff I would need to mess with it. Cresent wrench for hitting it, WD40 for cleaning and lubrication, beer, and socket set.

ohhh s***,

took the starter off and completly apart. funny thing is i have the fsm and the oem starter on the my cruiser is completly different. I think i found the problem, what looks to be the solinoid has a compartment on the back with a plunger on a rod with double springs. the washer that moves on this rod/spring thing wore out a brass thing that one of the main wires hooks to. i need to take a picture, that description was pretty crappy.

Mace said:
Either the brushes in the starter are gettin old or your wires are.

I would replace the wires first (super easy and cannot hurt)

I agree.1AWG welding cable with soldered on lugs! It's the shiznit!

pic of starter

it's obviously a gear reduction version
green arrow points to bad "copper thing" that is toast. can you get new "copper thing"?

Last edited:
bump.... does anyone know if you can get new brass contacts (see pic above on right)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom