Starter stuck starting.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Say that 5 times fast. My starter has been giving me fits recently, sometimes taking 20-30 key turns before it'd spin. Just aobut 15 minutes ago I go to start the truck and it starts right up.....only this time I hear this loud high pitch whine and realize the starter is cranking. Pulling the key out didn't stop it. I had to pull the positive cable on the battery to shut the truck off. My quesiton is, am I really only looking at the starter as the culprit here, or is something else screwy in my ignition system?

--ZERO

--EDIT-- I'm dumb. After consulting my FSMs and Haynes. it's pretty obvious it's the solenoid pinion sticking. I'll remove it tonight and install the new one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sounds like the relay went bad in the starter. My old starter used to do the same thing. You might be able to just fix the relay contacts.

Copy that. I'll check it out when I pull the starter tonight. I already have a new starter that'll be here tomorrow just in case. Thanks for the heads up!

--JP

Well, just pulled the starter and opened it up. The plunger was indeed stuck and the contacts are all kinds of messed up. I could just replace those three parts (if I could find them) but some of the weird epoxyish\ceramic-ish stuff on the Armature has cracked off, I'm presuming in the period where the starter wouldn't turn off before I was able to disconnect the battery.

My advice: when those contacts start to go bad or are dirty and that plunger's not completing the circuit, get that thing off and clean 'em or replace 'em BEFORE the plunger sticks.....would've been alot cheaper.

--JP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom