Starter sounds like crunching can (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Couple days ago my LX started making a loud crunching noise whenever I start the car. Sounds like someone stomping on an aluminum can. Short and loud.

If I turn the key and let go at just the right moment right when the engine engages, no noise. If I hold the key a split second longer, noise.

What is that? How urgently should this be fixed?

2002 LX with 140k miles. Thanks!

Last edited:
I’ll take the non response to mean this is an obvious starter replacement job. And/or you don’t want to break the bad news that this will require more than the removal of three bolts!

This car is new to me so I’ve been baselining. While I’m in there to replace the starter, I might as well replace the intake manifold gaskets. Anything else worth doing now?

Any other related tips? Thanks.

I'll take a guess at this one and say the grinding noise you are hearing would be your starter bendix getting stuck out and contacting the fly wheel. Since any issues will require you to get under the intake and to the starter a replacement should be considered.

I’ll take the non response to mean this is an obvious starter replacement job. And/or you don’t want to break the bad news that this will require more than the removal of three bolts!

This car is new to me so I’ve been baselining. While I’m in there to replace the starter, I might as well replace the intake manifold gaskets. Anything else worth doing now?

Any other related tips? Thanks.

Inspect the rear coolant crossover pipe while you're in there. Fix if it leaks, leave it alone if it doesn't (or do it anyway, IDK). I sort of did the opposite—coolant crossover was leaking, so it got a new starter (~200k on the old one) so I'd only have to do the intake job once.

I'll take a guess at this one and say the grinding noise you are hearing would be your starter bendix getting stuck out and contacting the fly wheel. Since any issues will require you to get under the intake and to the starter a replacement should be considered.
If I plan to replace the starter would there be any issue waiting a bit? I just may not have time for awhile and the grinding is just a quick burst and then over.

My understanding is the bendix, not the flywheel, is intended to take the brunt of the punishment as long as it’s not a prolonged grinding.

To say it’s awkward lifting the intake on and off is an understatement. Be careful that you don’t damage your new gaskets or the coolant temp sensors. I got new gaskets for the coolant pipes and removed them, which made getting the starter out that much easier. Now I was already replacing the heater hoses, so I may have not crossed that bridge if I wasn’t.

There’s also a better than even chance you’ll break an electrical connector or two taking it all apart. I had two just crumble on me. Took a couple days to get replacements from the dealer, but they were only $10 each.

Inspect the rear coolant crossover pipe while you're in there.
Sorry, I'm a 100 series newb. Do you have a photo and part number?

I got new gaskets for the coolant pipes and removed them, which made getting the starter out that much easier. Now I was already replacing the heater hoses, so I may have not crossed that bridge if I wasn’t.
Ditto. Photo and part number?

And would there be any efficiencies replacing the timing belt while replacing the starter?

And would there be any efficiencies replacing the timing belt while replacing the starter?

No.

For easy part numbers, pop your VIN into Partsouq.com and browse the Toyota diagrams. Makes it super easy to track down and then you can shop that part number across wherever. Partsouq is usually far cheaper though, and the shipping is pretty fast considering they're on the other side of the world.

Inspected flex plate. Most of the teeth have a little shine on them from battling with the starter bendix.

I would estimate this is after 50 or so starts during the last week where there’s a short burst of metal on metal until I release the key.

Based on the flex plate, is it acceptable for me to replace the starter in a few months when I have more time? Or should I replace right away before I turn this into a bigger, more costly problem?
17FBA5FC-B7C4-4A65-B724-5A154C1205CC.jpeg

Replaced the starter myself. Also the intake manifold gasket but nothing else seemed necessary to do at the same time.

There are of course plenty of resources on how to replace the starter but I’ll add one tip that helped me... a wooden plank on rolled up towels at the windshield and the radiator, as a cheapskate’s topside creeper. Helped tremendously in removing and installing the intake manifold, as well as the starter.

Anyway here’s the old starter, which didn’t seem too bad but the metal shavings makes me think it was good to replace this sooner than later. No more crunching can sound whenever I start the car

E40C5E91-81F5-4317-A14C-B0239FFE0D4C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom