Starter solenoid engages in on position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having a weird situation where my starter solenoid engages briefly when I turn the ignition to the on position. I can hear it click out, then immediately back in. When it clicks out, I can see the fan move slightly as the gears try to mesh with the flywheel. It doesn't seem to be an issue for starting since it returns back to its safe position, but I don't know why it is happening. I have tried two different starters, and two ignition switches, but the solenoid reacts the same way every time. Any thoughts? This is on a '76 with a 2F.

I'm having a weird situation where my starter solenoid engages briefly when I turn the ignition to the on position. I can hear it click out, then immediately back in. When it clicks out, I can see the fan move slightly as the gears try to mesh with the flywheel. It doesn't seem to be an issue for starting since it returns back to its safe position, but I don't know why it is happening. I have tried two different starters, and two ignition switches, but the solenoid reacts the same way every time. Any thoughts? This is on a '76 with a 2F.
My first thought is a faulty ignition switch.

After two starters & two switches, my next test would be a jumper from battery + to the coil + with key off. Try it several times. If it still, does it, disconnect the normal wire that goes to coil + and repeat the jumper test.

If it stops with the second jump test, reconnect the coil wire and disconnect the wire from the ignition switch “run” terminal and jump 12v to it. If there is more than on wire on the run terminal, jump 12v to them separately and then together.

You could also remove just the “start” wire from the switch and see if it still does it.

I purchased a "new" ignition switch, and same issue. It seems strange that there would be two ignition switches with the same issue.

My '78 did this a few years ago on its original ignition switch - just a burp of the starter re-engaging as you let off the key from 'start' going back to 'run'. I had a '77 steering column in the barn and borrowed and installed that switch and all was well.

I still blame the ign switches themselves. I wonder if the tolerances inside are so poor that this happens. Are they genuine Toyota switches or aftermarket?

@Steamer has good diagnostic suggestions, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom