Starter Screech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently rebuilt the 1FZFE engine in my LC and had this starter screech both before and after the rebuild. The vehicle sat for a year before I pulled the engine and assumed that a new starter would correct the issue. I replaced the original with two reman starters and more recently a brand new High Output 2.2KW starter. The flex plate and gear teeth are in nice shape. Not sure if shimming the starter is a need on Land Cruisers. Have a listen to the video and let me know your thoughts.

There's no starter shimming on 80s. Beyond that, I'm no help.

Did the noise change at all with the different starters?

All four starters made similar noise including the original. I was fighting the intermittant click no start problem and worked through it. The noise was a secondary issue. Now I'm focused on resolving the grinding noise.

Everything that rotates turns when the starter turns. It doesn't sound like the starter to me. Is the A/C on when you start the engine? If it is, turn it off and see if the noise goes away. If it does, it's the clutch.

It's a new engine rebuild with a new AC compressor and Alternator. The AC isn't charged yet. The whining noise after the start is the Power Steering that needs to be bled. The actual start process is pretty rough sounding with a zing at the end of each starter disengagement.

Are these Denso starters or aftermarket rebuilds?

Is the bell housing torqued properly to the engine?

Is the flex plat installed correctly? There is a specific orientation of the plate as well as one green screw.

Last edited:
It's a new engine rebuild with a new AC compressor and Alternator. The AC isn't charged yet. The whining noise after the start is the Power Steering that needs to be bled. The actual start process is pretty rough sounding with a zing at the end of each starter disengagement.
It doesn't matter if the A/C is charged or not; the clutch is electromagnetic. And new parts can be bad. Is the A/C off when you start the engine or not?

I doubt it's the starter after replacing it four times...however, is it fully seated on the bellhousing? You should be able to check this be looking at the mounting flange.

Have you tried removing the belts and starting the engine? You may need to start looking at all the rotating parts and removing them from the starting condition.

Is there a shim or anything else stuck on the mating surface where the starter bolts up to the engine?? Is the mating surface machined flat? Do the teeth of the flex plate look good?

Are these Denso starters or aftermarket rebuilds?

Is the bell housing torqued properly to the engine?

Is the flex plat installed correctly? There is a specific orientation of the plate as well as one green screw.

These are all Autozone starters and not OEM. The current and last starter is brand new High Output 2.2KW

Everything was torqued to spec with a digital torque wrench per the installation instructions below. No mention of a green bolt. The orientation of the flex plate is correct and I did replace all of the bolts with new.

Again, same issue both before and after the rebuild.

1665007788937.png

It doesn't matter if the A/C is charged or not; the clutch is electromagnetic. And new parts can be bad. Is the A/C off when you start the engine or not?

I doubt it's the starter after replacing it four times...however, is it fully seated on the bellhousing? You should be able to check this be looking at the mounting flange.

Have you tried removing the belts and starting the engine? You may need to start looking at all the rotating parts and removing them from the starting condition.
The AC control is off. The system is not charged hence the pressure switch would not engage the compressor. Confirmed that the AC compressor pulley is free spinning and noise free when the engine runs. This noise is specifically when the starter is engaging/disengaging. Noise goes away when you release the ignition key.

Is there a shim or anything else stuck on the mating surface where the starter bolts up to the engine?? Is the mating surface machined flat? Do the teeth of the flex plate look good?
The starter and mounting surfaces are clean and flat. The teeth on the flexplate look new.

I'm going to see if I can get a camera into the bell housing access port. I should also check the runout in the flexplate for giggles.

1665009383572.png
1665009888899.png

Did the issue start before the engine rebuild with the original starter, or only after the rebuilt engine was installed?

Is the "new" 2.2kW starter an original Denso, remanufactured or some other brand?

Does the pinion gear/shaft pull out by hand (should be difficult) and snap back quickly?

How do the teeth on the pinion gear look?

Just in case the starter is defective you could have it checked at a couple of autoparts stores (or autoelectric shop) that can do a bench test. Likely not the problem if the same symptoms with four starters, but at least it would rule that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom