Starter replacement on Amazon for FJ40? Need help, just ordered one that doesn't fit... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

So I just got my new starter, took out the old one and turns out it doesn't fit while the ad said it was for a 1978 FJ40 land cruiser.
Been searching amazon but the search is so bad that I just can't seem to find out whether they have that right one for my car.

I'm based in Colombia so dependent on Amazon to get things shipped out here. Attached is an image of the old starter vs. the new one that didn't fit, the solenoid is clearly on the wrong side.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 7.49.04 PM.png

Is there no local rebuild shop? I would prefer keeping the original. Maybe cost less also.

I'd try to rotate the mounting flange 180°

Yes I might do that with the original one, been searching a bit and eventually found this reasonably priced gear reduction starter which supposedly works great on the 1f / 2f land cruisers...

Amazon product ASIN B00KY0HBCG
This is the exact starter in my 1970 with F engine. Works great for me.

As long as the flange and gear match the engine, it should work. It won't be OEM maybe, but in a pinch...

Are you sure FedEx/DHL won't ship to you? If they do, lots of stateside sellers have them has them.

If all else fails, rebuilding them is very simple.

What is wrong with the old one? Rebuild parts are available.
Sooo I took your advice for granted ;) Dropped it off at a local electro repair shop this morning, they refurbished it completely and put in a different solenoid.
Put it back in... and still wouldn't crank, I was like huh WTF checked all the wiring but everything seemed fine.

So then after a couple times turning the ignition key, I took the key out and put it back in, whiggled it a bit around and voila... it cranked and ran in a second!
Looks like the ignition switch has gone bad, is this a common problem? Is there fix for it, e.g. cleaning or do I need to replace the whole switch with a new key?

Btw here's a pic of my refurbished starter, cost me only $20! :rofl:

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 10.10.29 PM.png

You can replace the innards of the ignition switch. Sweet fix on the starter!

Nice!
Ask same electrical guys on the ignition, doesnt sound like their first rodeo.
Good luck.

Hi, Just get yours rebuilt. I’m rebuilding several now. Better than Chinese junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom