Starter Removal Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased my first FJ40. A 1972 that had the original motor swapped for a Chevy 327. I am very novice to the world of motors, but am jumping in headfirst trying to learn. The starter is bad in it, and I am having trouble removing the top bolt. It has a Hanger style bolt on the top, and the nut on tranny side. Before going and purchasing a bunch of specialty tools, I was hoping I could get some guidance on removing this top bolt. I have attached a picture for reference.

015BD522-6B22-42AF-85D9-275C8837578D.jpeg

I just purchased my first FJ40. A 1972 that had the original motor swapped for a Chevy 327. I am very novice to the world of motors, but am jumping in headfirst trying to learn. The starter is bad in it, and I am having trouble removing the top bolt. It has a Hanger style bolt on the top, and the nut on tranny side. Before going and purchasing a bunch of specialty tools, I was hoping I could get some guidance on removing this top bolt. I have attached a picture for reference.

View attachment 2787101
If it seems stuck, even with the nut off.....use a small prybar (screwdriver, punch, etc..) to push the bolt from the bottom end at the same time use a ratchet or impact on the bolt head. Should come right out.

If it seems stuck, even with the nut off.....use a small prybar (screwdriver, punch, etc..) to push the bolt from the bottom end at the same time use a ratchet or impact on the bolt head. Should come right out.
Thanks Drake2… It has a nut on the tranny side as well. I was able to get the nut and washer on starter side completely free, but the bolt is still stuck. Would using the impact on the nut, tranny side back the bolt out, or just remove the nut?

Thanks Drake2… It has a nut on the tranny side as well. I was able to get the nut and washer on starter side completely free, but the bolt is still stuck. Would using the impact on the nut, tranny side back the bolt out, or just remove the nut?
Ok, if you can get at the side where the nut came off........you should be able to use a punch to tap the "bolt" out toward the trans side. I don't think the trans or bellhousing are threaded so there should be nothing holding the "bolt" in once that nut is off that you have already moved. Should be no need to force anything for that to come out. If it seems you are forcing it then stop and lets discuss more.

That bolt head looks pretty rounded. I would use a new one and anti seize the new ones upon installation.
I think the OP was saying that it is a stud with nuts on both ends which would be strange to begin with.

The top bolt is threaded into the starter and there should not be a nut and lock washer on there. Maybe this thread will help.

Starter_1.jpg

"It attaches with 3 bolts. Two ⅜"-16 x 1" long bolts go through the two un-threaded holes in the starter nose and screw into the bellhousing. One ⅜"-16 x 1-¾" long bolt goes through an un-threaded hole in the bellhousing and screws into the threaded hole in the starter nose."

With your rounded bolt head a tool like this will help get it out.

05038717.jpg

Remember righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Last edited:
I think the OP was saying that it is a stud with nuts on both ends which would be strange to begin with.
I thought so myself, even with my lack of experience. Every video and/or instructions showed the bolt going through the starter and threading into bell housing. The bottom bolt came out fine that way. Thanks everyone for the continued input!

The top bolt is threaded into the starter and there should not be a nut and lock washer on there. Maybe this thread will help.

View attachment 2787365

"It attaches with 3 bolts. Two ⅜"-16 x 1" long bolts go through the two un-threaded holes in the starter nose and screw into the bellhousing. One ⅜"-16 x 1-¾" long bolt goes through an un-threaded hole in the bellhousing and screws into the threaded hole in the starter nose."

View attachment 2787362

Thanks Byron. I picked up one of those sets today. My first mistake was trying to use a standard 12 tooth socket instead of a 6.

View attachment 2787365

View attachment 2787362

thanks Byron. Purchased a set today. My initial mistake was using a 12 point socket instead of 6 point. That’s what rounded the nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom