Starter Relay Location, please? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've Google searched, YouTube searched, RTFMs that I have, looked at all the blocks, and still cannot find the darn starter relay.

'91 FJ80 3FE. I got the dreaded click but no start. Of course I tackled the most difficult option first, and replaced the contacts and plunger in the starter. I'm glad I did, because they were due. (Apparently I somehow got a slightly wrong complete starter rebuild kit. The gasket for the solenoid cover wasn't the right one, so I didn't even bother trying to go deeper into the starter motor and brushes. But I bench tested it after reassembly, and it's strong.
After reinstalling the starter, I still got the click but no start. :confused:
So, I used the same jumper method as on the bench test and she fires right up! :clap:
My diagnosis is now that the starter relay isn't providing enough voltage to the solenoid to fully drive the plunger out to make a complete connection to the motor.

Anyone have a pic of the relay in position?
Is in on the inside fender wall or behind the driver kick panel?
Part number?
Please?

You can't find it because there isn't one.

Do a search on here for "starter relay" by member @jonheld This will result in a number of threads that will be directly related to what you need and most will be related to the 3FE, as you will need.

One of those excerpts is below.

Thank you.

I've determined that, while I am getting ,~12V from the signal wire, I'm not getting enough Amperage to fully extend the plunger and make contact to engage the starter motor.
Cleaning and even replacing the female spade connector on the wire didn't resolve the issue.
Temporary workaround is a remote starter switch, but I need to find the source of the current drain or faulty part in that circuit.

The starter logic path is pretty simple on these trucks. Battery +, fusible link AM1, fuse AM1, ignition switch, neutral start switch, starter.
The load side of the starter motor contact is a direct connection to the battery positive terminal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom