Starter Relay Clicking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After lurking for months I have picked up an '82 bj42 and finally have something to post. Too bad it's not something sexy like flexy suspension or glossy paint.

After push starting the truck and driving it home I now have a starting problem to deal with sitting in my parking stall. I've installed a rebuilt starter from Toyota (I thought $260 was a good price) after bench testing my old one proved that it wasn't working.

I also decided to replace the batteries since the terminals were corroding away with the rest of the truck. I cleaned all grounds while I was at it.

Now... I've got what sounds like the starter relay rapidly clicking when I turn the key to start the truck. I'm assuming that's the next best place to track down a problem. There is 24V going to the starter motor from the battery. If there isn't 24V at the small wire going to the starter when the key is turned to "start" then I'm assuming that something is wrong with the starter relay or the wiring connecting to it.

Am I talking crazy or missing something simple?

Here's a really bad shot of the rig to keep everyone happy.

DSC00273.jpg

After lurking for months I have picked up an '82 bj42 and finally have something to post. Too bad it's not something sexy like flexy suspension or glossy paint.

After push starting the truck and driving it home I now have a starting problem to deal with sitting in my parking stall. I've installed a rebuilt starter from Toyota (I thought $260 was a good price) after bench testing my old one proved that it wasn't working.

I also decided to replace the batteries since the terminals were corroding away with the rest of the truck. I cleaned all grounds while I was at it.

Now... I've got what sounds like the starter relay rapidly clicking when I turn the key to start the truck. I'm assuming that's the next best place to track down a problem. There is 24V going to the starter motor from the battery. If there isn't 24V at the small wire going to the starter when the key is turned to "start" then I'm assuming that something is wrong with the starter relay or the wiring connecting to it.

Am I talking crazy or missing something simple?

Well you seem to be making sense to me.

Perhaps you should check your start/glow fusible link. (Maybe disconnect the BIG 24V lead to your starter and get someone to turn the key to start while you trace where you're losing the 24V in your "starter control-circuitry"?)

Here's an image of my 12V set-up. Your 24V won't be too much different in the layout - and your 24V starter control feed should come from one fusible link too:

WiringStart&Glow.jpg

PS. These fusible links are known to be a common source of trouble.
WiringStart&Glow.jpg

Howdy! Your battery cables may be just as bad as the old batteries. They can corrode inside, and you can't see it. Try bypassing them with a set of jumper cables, then you'll know for sure. John

Thanks!

The fusible links seem to be in good shape.

I'm getting 25.4V at the big terminal (30) on the starter. When I disconnect the small wire (50) and turn the key to start I'm seeing 21.2V using the same grounding point for the voltmeter as I used for the big terminal.

That wiring diagram makes it really simple, nice job!

"Clicking" is generally caused by low voltage at the starter solenoid (it engages, but once the starter starts drawing current, the voltage drops so low the coil can no longer hold the contacts in so it drops back out - then the cycle starts again)

You will likely find that you have a bad connection SOMEWHERE in the system - sucky part is finding it!! As suggested, try using booster cables to bypass the main power leads that go to the starter. If that solves your problem then you need to find out which connection is dirty, or which cable is bad. If that doesn't solve your problem, then the issue is with the trigger wire, coming from the key switch. Use a similar procedure (with a short chunk of wire) to jump from the + post on the starter to the trigger wire. (you'll likely get some sparks!)

Try measuring the voltage at the big terminal, while you are getting the relay chatter (clicking) I bet you it drops to around 8-10V.

Maybe try running a wire/jumper directly from the battery +Ve (24V) terminal to the 50 terminal and see if she cranks well doing that?

(I'd have a crocodile-clip at the "50 terminal end" and just briefly touch the other end of the wire to the battery terminal - making sure the tranny is in neutral of course.)

:cheers:

It's always the simple and most obvious things... gotta remember that. Using the jumper cable trick (which I've never though of before) I replaced the cable between thet two batteries first. Done! Engine turned over no problem! Thanks!

...onto the next step

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom