Starter rebuild help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got around to pulling the starter, not so bad except for that top bolt.... anyway I just opened things up and my rebuild kit seems not to match up exactly. The plunger looks a little different on the head part, not worried about that but am worried about those solenoid things. Same size just inverted, will installing on the other side cause problems?

526DA955-F04A-4967-A4CD-92E5F9C01223.jpeg

Because I’m in a crunch for time I’m just gonna put the new small solenoid in seeing that it’s worn pretty well, clean everything up and use the (worn but not tooooo worn) larger solenoid. Put in the new plunger and hope for the best. If it works but still clicks I’ll just buy a remanufactured one.

image.jpg

Solenoid things? The plunger doesn't look like it has the length to make contact. The copper, L-shaped pieces in your photo are the contact plates. They look OK.

First, are you talking about the starter (the electric motor inside the starter frame), or the bendix (clutch assembly), which the starter operates?

Second, this doesn't look like an OEM rebuild kit.

Solenoid things? The plunger doesn't look like it has the length to make contact. The copper, L-shaped pieces in your photo are the contact plates. They look OK.

First, are you talking about the starter (the electric motor inside the starter frame), or the bendix (clutch assembly), which the starter operates?

Regardless it worked lol. Fired up on the first crank

Sorry on my terminology, not the best engineer/ mechanic when it comes to naming things. But I can name anything in a body lol

Good deal. I don't know what the kit cost you, but there's an alternator/starter rebuild shop (at least one) in most large cities. Going rate is about $50 and the wait time is about an hour. And they warranty their work. FYI

Good deal. I don't know what the kit cost you, but there's an alternator/starter rebuild shop (at least one) in most large cities. Going rate is about $50 and the wait time is about an hour. And they warranty their work. FYI
Will have to check that out. Kit cost me maybe 5$ Amazon had a sale lol was 50% off and had good reviews so I gave it a shot. Want me straight forward and simple. Hardest part was getting that top bolt to loosen up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom