starter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thorvald

Threads
Website
www.pointyhatdesigns.com
My 60 has been running rough, figure its either fuel delivery or ignition, havent gotten around to figuring it out yet, however..pulled into the driveway after running around and there was a bang, almost like a backfire when we turned it off-thought maybe related to it not shutting off right away with the key and carb issue. anyway, went back out to move it and nothing, it showed some juice, but no click, no noise, etc. so, pushed it out of the way. tried again, same thing, nothing. checked some wires, hit the starter a few times, and it started up.

so, question is, do i need a new starter for sure?
have no problem getting one if so, just dont want to order one if its not absolutely the problem. i did wiggle a few wires around also, took one of the connections from the battery apart, etc.

thanks, scott

Not sure about the bang! but you might go through your electrical connections before replacing the starter. Clean the battery terminals, check your grounds. crossed any high water lately? All good places to start. After that maybe whack the starter gently. if that makes it work then you have two choices rebuild or buy rebuilt. Other links here have discussed cleaning up the starter and replacing the solenoid. If the magnets and windings are worn out then your better off buying a new rebuilt one. I recommend the gear reduction denso. But honestly I haven't tried any others I just know the one I got works. Mean Green is supposed to be good but was double the cost of mine.

Good luck. BTW I read once that someone had a loose battery terminal and that ruined the starter and the alternator. Not sure how but perhaps take the battery area seriously.

battery connections are tight.
tried starting it a couple times after i got it going with wacking the starter and turning it off and it started.

should add that since we got it it has been a hard starter when either raining or warm engine. i was thinking it was a fuel issue, and it may be, but yesterdays incident has me thinking might be starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom