Starter Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've searched mud for starter issues today, and haven't found a thread regarding my specific problem.

I went to start the car and the starter kicked on and cranked the motor, probably 1 or two times, then stopped cranking the motor, but I still can hear the starter motor running until I release the ignition key. I can repeat this process several times, and still hear the starter motor humming...
Eventually, with luck, the car fires up, but its a pita and I don't want to get stuck somewhere.

My synopsis is that the solenoid extends and then retracts before the motor can actually start running.

Does this sound correct? Any advice on how to remedy this without purchasing a new starter?

same ole problem

Just replaced the contacts and plunger as per the rebuild thread, to no avail. still the same problem.
when i turn the ignition, the starter kicks over, then stops turning the engine, but i can still hear the starter motor spinning, and will continue spinning until i let off the key. sometimes there's a loud click...
after taking it apart for a second time, i noticed impact marks(little dimples/divots) on the brand new contacts and plunger, as though they had been struck together...
i cleaned all connections even the ground on the body and battery terminals. the batter is brand new. and the motor will start, if the starter doesnt crap out, which i does 95% of the time...
any help? thanks

The solenoid for the starter is built into the starter. It sounds like the solenoid is weak and doesn't hold the starter gear engaged to the flywheel. So, my guess is you are up for a new starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom