1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter on 2f

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Benji, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Benji

Benji

My starter just went out all of a sudden this morning. 84 FJ60 2F engine. What type of starter should I replace it with and how many amps is the starter? I called the Toyota dealership and they had OEM starters, but needed to know the exact amps that mine was. I can not find this information anywhere on the housing nor in the original manual. Shoul I get OEM or aftermarket starter?
    :cheers:

2. Benji

Benji

Alternator

Sorry guys, I am having a bad day. My alternator went out, not the starter, sorry for the confusion.
    Benji

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    AFAIK all US spec fj60s(at least the latter ones, like yours) used a 55 amp alt, internaly regulated. Sould be $180ish for a OEM reman(good as new) Me, I would replace with OEM unless you need more power.

4. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

I went through this recently as well. The alternator didn't break, per se., but the pulley came off and buggered up the shaft, etc. My dealer also couldn't tell me which alternator. He ordered both, and we decided on the 55 Amp ('85 FJ-60, alternator w/ integrated voltage regulator). I think the other option didn't have the intergal VR. Be warned, however, the OEM alternator from Toyota does not come with the voltage regulator. You have to order that separately, and I think it costs about as much as the alternator. Be sure what is broken before you replace. I've also tried after market alternators, with limited success. Some come with the wrong clocking-the voltage regulator is on the wrong side of the alternator and prevents you from pivoting the alternator enough to get the belt on. Another I got came with the wrong pulley. The parts guy replaced it with my pulley, but some miles later the pulley came loose...good luck.

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I have never seen a 60(or even a 81-3 fj40) with the external reg, the FSM does show it but I beleive its not a US item.

Pretty sure the $180 gets you a new OEM alt with reg........but I may be wrong

6. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

The dealers around here are a rip off. Your better with a parts store that can order it. For example, when I was looking for a starter for my FJ40, the dealer wanted $220, Checker $78, Pep Boys $65, Auto Zone $88. They all had to be ordered and would take anywhere from 2-3 days. I ended up buying a solenoid on ebay for $8 and fixed it myself. Don't know about an alternator, bet it's similar.

ken

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">