Starter Motor Ground? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Should I have a ground cable running from where the starter to the frame? I don't have one, but the diagram on SOR does. If I have a ground cable from the block to the frame, do I need one from the starter, too?

Thanks for the help,
Felix
SOR Starter Motor.gif

Felix said:
Should I have a ground cable running from where the starter to the frame? I don't have one, but the diagram on SOR does. If I have a ground cable from the block to the frame, do I need one from the starter, too?

Thanks for the help,
Felix
Yep - battey to frame with another cable to the bottom starter stud off the same frame bolt. Bet your starter turns faster ;)

Tucker

Thanks, Tucker. It would be nice if it turned at all.

My battery is currently grounded to the engine, at the hoist hook bolt. So, I should ground it to the frame, too?

Felix said:
Thanks, Tucker. It would be nice if it turned at all.

My battery is currently grounded to the engine, at the hoist hook bolt. So, I should ground it to the frame, too?

Yes, the battery needs to be grounded to the engine, frame and body. The more that the battery, body, engine and frame and connected the better. For instance, FJ6x's have the body grounded to both the battery and the engine.

On my 76 FJ40 I was having an intermittant starting problem. Sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. I checked the connections and they all seemed ok so I changed the starter. It worked a couple times and then quit. This time I cleaned all the connections one at a time, checking to see if it would start after each one. I finally did the one between the starter and the frame and it finally started. I haven't had a problem since. Moral of the story? All of the connections are important and must be clean.

Richard

YES.....it does help. from the battery to the frame and from the starter to the frame as well. It does make a difference.

ratchet said:
On my 76 FJ40 I was having an intermittant starting problem. Sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. I checked the connections and they all seemed ok so I changed the starter. It worked a couple times and then quit. This time I cleaned all the connections one at a time, checking to see if it would start after each one. I finally did the one between the starter and the frame and it finally started. I haven't had a problem since. Moral of the story? All of the connections are important and must be clean.

Richard

Me too - exact same problem. Spent a small fortune on overhauling the starter when it wasn't faulty at all! Cleaned up all the ground cables, & not a problem since. Moral: Check the cheap & simple things first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom