starter issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all i have some things that are beyond my ordinary knowledge with my car.... and i think yall might be able to help.

heres what i have going on:
- when i go to start my car, it normally takes a second or two from when i turn the key before it starts to crank, so i just normally hold the key in the start position.
- when it does start cranking, sometimes i hear some abnormal sounds from the starter. sometimes a thud, then a crank. sometimes a clean crank. sometimes an abnormally loud crank. these are among others.

i recently installed some of the custom battery cables i found on this site, and i checked the connection on the starter really well because i was experiencing this before i did the cables. i was having these issues before i replaced the cables and i thought it might be a poor connection so i went ahead and got the new cables.

i am thinking it is the solenoid or the starter, but i dont want to start throwing parts at it quite yet, because i want to hear your feedback.

I appreciate all of your feedback. if you need, i can take a few videos of when i start the car and you guys can hear whats going on.

Thank you!

It is the contacts within the starter.

You can buy the parts from Wits' End (or Toyota)
or you can buy a Denso Reman from Rockauto (o Toyota, or Wits' End)

Yep, just pull your starter and replace the contacts and plunger and put it back in. Or if you have more money than time (or you're lazy), you can buy a new starter, but the process is not difficult or time consuming.

Just be sure to check whether you have the "standard" 2.0kw starter or the 1.4kw starter before you buy the parts. I had the 1.4kw starter, and the contact and plunger kits are harder to find for that one, so I just replaced the whole shebang with a 2.0 starter (I am also lazy).

This thread will help you figure out which starter you have:

It is the contacts within the starter.

You can buy the parts from Wits' End (or Toyota)
or you can buy a Denso Reman from Rockauto (o Toyota, or Wits' End)
I did both recently: Pulled old starter, replaced with reman. Denso. Rebuilt old starter.

:cheers:

sweet

Be advised that kits advertised as 'starter rebuild kits' are 'Solenoid Rebuild Kits'. A person should actually disassemble the starter and inspect the bearings, seals, brushes, etc. Clean everything up and re-grease at a minimum.

Many (most) times...replacing the components in the Solenoid will get the starter 'working' again...but that doesn't mean it's in good shape. ONLY by inspecting...will you know what it does (or does not) need.

Fortunately the starter on the 80 series is fairly easy to access (unlike the 100 series) but the same advice applies: To do it 'right', tear it down and inspect.

Be advised that kits advertised as 'starter rebuild kits' are 'Solenoid Rebuild Kits'. A person should actually disassemble the starter and inspect the bearings, seals, brushes, etc. Clean everything up and re-grease at a minimum.

Many (most) times...replacing the components in the Solenoid will get the starter 'working' again...but that doesn't mean it's in good shape. ONLY by inspecting...will you know what it does (or does not) need.

Fortunately the starter on the 80 series is fairly easy to access (unlike the 100 series) but the same advice applies: To do it 'right', tear it down and inspect.
I'm glad you stated that.

When I dug into my factory starter, I discovered bad bearings and seals. It cost me MORE than a reman starter to buy all the parts I needed to get mine back into tip-top shape, not to mention the HOURS of time it took for me to clean, disassemble, replace bearings and seals.

There are some parts that seem to not be available, such as the little rubber vent tube on the bottom. Each starter takes two. I could only find one between domestic Toyota and Partsouq at the time I was rebuilding mine. I even bought a rem,an aftermarket from an auto parts store to see if that one had one. It was in worse shape than the one on my old, used starter, so the reman guy aren't replacing them either.

The other thing that is not available is the silicone-like tube that covers the terminal on the outside of the starter, with the exposed cable. Mine was heavily cracked, so I used "The Right Stuff" and goobered it all over the cracked area (after I cleaned it well, of course...) in order to seal it all back up. I think @Kernal did something like that as well.

28199-46080. There is one in the whole US, according to my local parts guy. There are replacements, different part number.

28199-46080. There is one in the whole US, according to my local parts guy. There are replacements, different part number.

"Inventory" counts are very often OFF. Call around and have someone actually go check the shelves. Bet you will find some

I rebuilt a 2.2kW starter, got some parts from a small vendor in Florida (forget who right now), some searching for "alternator starter parts" should find him or others.

There's a large parts wholesaler, Waiglobal, that can get about anything including new Denso parts but when I checked they only sell to Shops that have an account:

Might try a local autoelectric shop that rebuilds starters for some small parts, problem is they may add a huge mark-up. When I couldn't find a couple of long screws one shop found them for me, original Denso parts but $20 for two. When I asked him why so much he said he had spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find them, so he charged me for that.

Here's one company that has some parts, website seems difficult to navigate.

I also spent more to rebuild my 2.2kW starter than it would have cost to just buy a rebuilt unit with a warranty, but it works well. If someone likes to tinker and has a lot of spare time, go for it.

Here's a link to a thread for rebuilding a 2.2kW starter with a lot of photos (not mine). The process is similar for the 2.0kW and 1.4kW starters, but there are some differences:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom