Starter Interchange ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1973 FJ40 with a bad starter.

I am looking at a 1987 FJ60 starter as a replacement. The only thing I need to change is the length of a wire, correct?

Otherwise it is a direct bolt on?

It doesn't matter if it is an automatic or a standard trans FJ60?

Thanks, ROB

FJ60 direct bolt in. High torque, starting in gear, good starter. AFAIK, Fj60 didn't come with automatics.

Re manufactured starters are available from the dealer, approx. $140 (new is no longer an option.
They will also accept your regular starter as the core...

manny

yes its a direct swap but you might have to do a wee bit of re-wireing. you will need to leave off the wire from the coil to the starter for one. Might also have to change the terminals that conect to the starter, but this is easy stuff.

I swap a 87 fj60 to a 64 F motor......works SWEET :)

any 8/80-90 will work, 91-2 prolly the same, 93-97 prolly the same

As always great support. I appreciate your help. I did a search, but I wasn't a 100% sure so I asked.

I ordered one at Napa today for $97.00 with a small discount. They accepted my other 73 starter as a core.

My 73 should hit the road by early next week. I'm getting excited.

Thanks again, ROB

Jim, I have an extra 3 on the tree colume shift and ball/claw front axle if that would help ya out ;)

Godwin said:
Just as the later model starters will bolt up to earlier engines, an older starter can be used on a newer engine. I currently have an older starter on a 3FE and it works just fine.

I just wanted to update on the starter. It went right on and really cranks....wow! The other one would hardly turn the engine over, but this one spins quite fast.

I was able to stretch the starter solenoid wire and otherwise it went well.

Thanks again, ROB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom