Starter help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, alomost two weeks ago, my 80 died when we braked for lunch on a run. I got a jump from a Mudder, and made it home. I took apart the starter, and upon inspection, it looks like it was the wrong seal and brushes (they were smashed to fit the cover). I picked up a cold climate starter from NAPA (sorry Dan, with the cheaper price and my co. discount, I saved quite a bit). Thought I would give it a try. Now, not do I only still have to jump start her, she won't even stay running without gassing her up to fight through the rough idle. Any ideas? She is a 97 FZJ80. yes I searched the starter issues, but can't find anything. Maybe the alt, coud be a problem?

Thanks

Can't resist giving you crap about "saving money" by adding a non factory part that has not only NOT fixed the problem, but also added a new one. Heh..

The rough idle sounds like a cracked intake hose - perhaps you checked the air filter while doing the starter and cracked it? That'll give rough idle.

Otherwise, recheck your connections on the starter and as noted the battery may now be an issue if it was nearly dead from age and then a single full drain (very rough on a battery) essentially killed it. Often an 80 has a temporarily low idle when the battery is dead because the CPU loses its memory and it starts from defaults.

DougM

Can't resist giving you crap about "saving money" by adding a non factory part that has not only NOT fixed the problem, but also added a new one. Heh..

Yeah, I deserve that one! Too many bills to pay, and I'm digging a grave.

[/QUOTE]
The rough idle sounds like a cracked intake hose - perhaps you checked the air filter while doing the starter and cracked it? That'll give rough idle.

Otherwise, recheck your connections on the starter and as noted the battery may now be an issue if it was nearly dead from age and then a single full drain (very rough on a battery) essentially killed it. Often an 80 has a temporarily low idle when the battery is dead because the CPU loses its memory and it starts from defaults.

DougM[/QUOTE]

Battery is questionable. 14.1 volts with no load, but I still need to check the amperage. I have had the battery dissconected for this week, untill I had time to work on it. I didn't check the air filter, still pretty new. I plan to check the battery later this morning. I am aware of the CPU/ECU to reset. The rough idle went past the the normal time to fix itself.

Last edited:
Have you had the battery tested yet?

I took it in today, part of the problem. It did not pass the test. Bought a new one, waited serval minutes for it to reset, but the same problem occurred. Now she started fine,but she dies without gassing it. How long does it take to reset the CPU? Could the alt cause this? No lights on the dash come on.

Rudy,
Mine has taken up to 7 or 8 starts to get the idle right. Try starting it, letting it run for a minute or so and repeat.
HTH
Daisy

Thanks for the advice guys! The problem was that out of frustration I started to loosen the dizzy to get to the alt (thinking that might have been a problem). Then is occured to me that removing the battery tray would be a better idea. Well I did not set it back right :bang:! With some help and advice from my neighbor we set the dizzy where it needs to be, and she seems to running fine now. Drove around yesterday for a while with no problems. Even though I F'd up, it was a good learning exprience! Thanks again :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom