1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter help too, 97FZJ80

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by doctorJ, Mar 18, 2004.

1. doctorJ

doctorJ

I obviously need to get something done soon. Advice needed on 1.4kW vs 2.0kW choice. Where do I have to go and buy one of these? dealer?
    Thought about just doing the contacts - but getting to the thing is so involved I think I'll just replace the whole starter. thoughts? thanks?
    Jay

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    It's up to you.

Contacts fix 'em almost always. AN OEM reman starter, 28100-66060-84 lists for $257.23 exchange and a pair of new contacts, 28226-72010 and 28226-66060, list for $11.77 each.

1/10 the cost of a starter.

3. Pitbull

Pitbull

Just curious, what are the symtoms of the starter contact problem? Turn the key and nothing? Turn the key and it just cranks but won't catch? I have 135K on my 95 and have not had any starting problems (except when the original battery went bad) and I want to know when this is happening. Thanks

4. sea2skydad

sea2skydad

Contacts worked on mine. The starter has to come out, regardless, and changing the contacts is dead easy, about 20 minutes, faster after you do it a couple of times. It's your money! Good luck, Greg.

5. Lockd97

Lockd97

Cdan set me up with the contats and the plunger. Took longer to get the starter out than the swap out! Really not a problem and a slam dunk on the savings.

Scott

6. Junk

Junk

thedoctor - I have an extra starter, oem remanned, on my shelf it you need it, but do yourself a favor and do the contacts. If you get stranded, use a brass hammer (or anything hard if you don't have anything else) and tap on the started. Sometimes you can get a few extra starts this way. May be enough to get you home, but since this is happening, don't wait.

Personally, I'd advise you get on the phone with Cdan - have him overnight you some so you have the correct ones in your hands tomorrow and do it Sat. I assume he has them in stock and your local dealer probably does not. He'll make sure you get the right things.

It doesn't take long to do this, but make sure you have some flex sockets or at least a wobble extension. For the back nut to take off the starter, go in from underneath, for the front, in from the wheel well. etc. There's good instructions on Christo's site.

7. doctorJ

doctorJ

I thought you had to take the manifold off to do this job, sounded like more than I wanted to tackle (sure a lot more than on my 67 mustang or even the FJ60) But, I geuss I should call C-dan; what's his number???

Symptoms - turn key and all electrical comes on but no start. No clicking except can hear a sinlge contact occuring. reset the key and turn again and it starts fight up - or not - but eventually it does, so far.

Jay

8. shocker

shocker

[quote author=doctorJ link=board=2;threadid=13327;start=msg123259#msg123259 date=1079631153]
    I thought you had to take the manifold off to do this job, sounded like more than I wanted to tackle (sure a lot more than on my 67 mustang or even the FJ60) But, I geuss I should call C-dan; what's his number???

Symptoms - turn key and all electrical comes on but no start. No clicking except can hear a sinlge contact occuring. reset the key and turn again and it starts fight up - or not - but eventually it does, so far.

Jay
    [/quote]

Yep. Starter contacts. The thing you are hearing is the solenoid plunger, but when it hits it's not making a connection to anything to create a current; hence, worn starter contacts.

All you need to remove to get to it is your DS wheel and the fender skirt thingies. Ohh, disconnect the battery too. It's easy to see how to do it, it's just that some of the bolts are harder to get to.

C-Dan is (800) 432-6668, ext#8

:cheers:

9. Junk

Junk

thedoctor - no, pulling the starter is easy on the 80. Well depending on how thin your wrists are that is. It's tight in there, but plenty of room to get it out and replace it.

When you put it back in, just don't overtorque the bolts though.

If you take it out and do this yourself, and get stuck with questions, just post back and someone will help you.

10. AZcruiser

AZcruiser

J,

My starter went out about 2 years ago. I shopped around new/rebuilt, etc. I ended up going to StartMart. They removed, rebuilt the starter new contacts and solenoid(so they say) for about $130. Its been fine since. If you dont have the time or the ability to rebuild it yourself this may be a good alternative.
    Chris

11. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    This is a fairly easy project, good for beginners. You can almost get the two starter bolts with just sockets and extensions. I used socket joints on one starter, a flex-head ratchet on the other. Replace one side of the contacts at a time, they're similar and easy to mix up. If you do mix them up, pull the starter off another '97 as a guide :D

12. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Whether you do the contacts or replace the starter the first thing you need to do is remove one of the battery cables.

Bill

13. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=13327;start=msg123601#msg123601 date=1079663966]
    Whether you do the contacts or replace the starter the first thing you need to do is remove one of the battery cables.

Bill
    [/quote]

I'll second, but specify with always remove the negative battery cable first! If while removing the negative battery cable you accidentally hit the body or the frame with your wrench nothing will happen. However, if you are removing the positive cable and you hit the body or the frame, well, you are now holding a welder in your hand - literally. To make things worse, use the closed end on a box end wrench, get the other open end good and wedged between a body panel and the battery cable clamp bolt and watch that sucker glow!!! So, to repeat remove negative first, reinstall negative last if you have to remove both cables!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">