Starter clicking when I turn off ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 LX 450 - issue stated today. Car runs fine but when I turn ignition off and take the key out the starter cranks over 10 times or so. It doesn’t happen every time I turn off the car, only intermittently.

This happened for the first time right after I filled up with gas (could be totally unrelated and don’t think it’s at all connected to the problem).

Transmission oil light came on, windshield fluid light was on. Turned the ignition off and back on and lights went away.

Is this a bad starter solenoid?

Might be a wiring issue…or ECU.

Battery is unplugged for now while I rack my brain on where to begin. Been searching forums but most starter issues with welded points force starter to stay on after engine starts.

No issues starting whatsoever…

mine did that about 10 years ago, the solenoid plunger was getting stuck so I put a kit through it and been good since
had to hit it with a hammer to free it up otherwise it just kept cranking the motor over

mine did that about 10 years ago, the solenoid plunger was getting stuck so I put a kit through it and been good since
had to hit it with a hammer to free it up otherwise it just kept cranking the motor over

When you say kit, I’m assuming you mean rebuild kit?

I checked out the Wits End kit but the million dollar question is…is it worth just replacing the entire starter while I’m in there

When you say kit, I’m assuming you mean rebuild kit?

I checked out the Wits End kit but the million dollar question is…is it worth just replacing the entire starter while I’m in ther
Yes, a rebuild kit for the solenoid, contacts, plunger, spring etc. I didnt take apart the rest of the starter & its still going strong

Do not start the vehicle again unless you have the correct size wrench ready to remove the negative battery cable quickly; if the plunger sticks and doesn't let go the starter could continue to run and your vehicle could catch fire. Really.

Either partially rebuild what you have (if it's the original Toyota-Denso starter) with a new OEM plunger and contacts, or replace with a Toyota Reman unit. Forget about auto parts store junk.

I pulled the trigger on the rebuild kit last night and will be doing fuel filter and PHH. I’ll let you guys know result. Thanks for the help!

Consider also replacing the smaller diameter water bypass hose (16261-66040)
that runs up to the Throttle Body from just in front of the PHH.

While you're working in that area be very careful of the #2 knock sensor; the part that connects to the engine harness becomes extremely brittle with age and is easily snapped off if bumped.

Consider also replacing the smaller diameter water bypass hose (16261-66040)
that runs up to the Throttle Body from just in front of the PHH.

While you're working in that area be very careful of the #2 knock sensor; the part that connects to the engine harness becomes extremely brittle with age and is easily snapped off if bumped.
Thanks for this! I always get halfway through a project and realize I need another part. Since it’s my “wife’s car” I’m usually trying to extend the deadline with her…

You could also order a new metal gasket for the Throttle Body to upper intake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom