Starter Bushing (SB0) not taking up enough slack in TRE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

Just reinstalled my tie rod tonight after converting my 75 FJ40 to FJ60 knuckles.

I pressed starter bushings (part number SB0) into the FJ60 steering arms to make them work with the FJ40 tie rod ends.

However, it looks like they didn't cut it - fully tightened, the hole for the cotter pin still sits well above the castlations on the castle nut...same on both sides...

Sorry for the dark pictures:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is this normal? What are my options? I'd like to avoid running a washer on top of the steering arm, but I've seen that done...

Also - looks like the boot on one end is damaged from a bad alignment or a backspacing issue on the wheel:

image.jpg

As you can see, it's bleeding grease. Are replacement boots available for these? (555 TREs from Kurt)

SOR sells the machined spacers for the arms and poly boots...

:meh:

SOR sells the machined spacers for the arms and poly boots...

:meh:

I knew about the spacers - was hoping to get away with a $3 starter bushing instead of a $20 spacer...Didn't know about the boots though - I'll have to look into it. Do other vendors carry boots as well? I'll ask around...SOR has some hard to find pieces but last time I ordered something from them, the shipping was astronomical.

On that note, if these bushings are SUPPOSED to get the job done, is there something else going on here, or have these always been a so/so fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom