Started the dissassembly 4 the head, can't get some stuff off???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally started pulling parts out to change my head gasket and have the top end rebuilt (never done this before). I've got the easy stuff (passenger side) all cleared out and the carb is mostly diconnected.
Questions, How does the choke cable disconnect from the carb, maybe I'm missing something obvious but I don't see how to disconnect them. Also what bolts am I looking for to disconnect the carb. Are they the 4 hard to-get-to ones (vertical)?
And lastly, the air injection rail doesn't seem to be going anywhere! I got the top bolts unthreaded, I'm guessing I have to loosen the bottom ones now, It looks like they screw into the top of the head. Is that correct? Any recommendations on how to get them off, mine won't budge (rusty)?
I know for many of you, this is pretty simple stuff but hopefully when I'm done I'll know a thing or two as well. Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Andrew

Last edited:
THe choke cable connects to the back of the carb (firewall side) and to the left. There should be a screw you loosen to unclip the cable from the carb. The carb has 4 vertical bolts that hold it in place at its base. They are a bit of a pain to remove but not too bad. The air rail has 6 nuts that connect to the air injection nozles screwed in to the head. I don't know what you mean by top and bottom bolts. Usually they are rusted in place pretty tight. Try some wd-40 or equivalent to loosen them because it is very easy to damage the air rail if you put enough pressure to unscrew them. If you are removing the head with the exhaust/intake manifold still attachedd don't forget to unscrew the exhaust pipe and the EGR pipe from the exhaust/intake manifold before you take the head out. Also, don't forget the wire for the carb cooling fan sensor. The only advice I can give you is not to attempt removing and especially reinstalling the head by yourself. It weighs a ton and after you change the head gasket, it needs to be reinstalled very carefully as not to damage the gasket.

Well I went out and got everything off. I guess I was confused with the air rail bolts and was under the impression I had to loosen the bolts that actually go into the head. They were very rusty and tough o get off. Unfortunately, the one on cylinder 6 broke. Eventually it turned but it wasn't threading (just broke off and ripped off the rail, *&%*% !!!!!! I guess I'll be ordering a good used one from cruiserparts. Otherwise, I got the carb off, just needed to turn it aroundso I could see the choke wire connection better.
As for the carb fan, I will admit that it hasn't worked since I bought the cruiser 2+ yrs ago. Took it apart and it looked fine but maybe its not connected properly. Where is the connection for the sensor?
Anyway, if I run into any hang ups, I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice Nikos8

fjman said:
As for the carb fan, I will admit that it hasn't worked since I bought the cruiser 2+ yrs ago. Took it apart and it looked fine but maybe its not connected properly. Where is the connection for the sensor?
Anyway, if I run into any hang ups, I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice Nikos8
The sensor is bolted to the bottom of the intake manifold. The common problem is the wire breaks that runs from the sensor to the fan. You should see the broken wires as you pull the parts off...

HTH,
Nick

I'll do that tommorrow. The manifolds are a pita. Epecially the ERG stuff.

not to hijack, but I'm taking my head off and my carb fan hasn't worked ever. I think I found the sensor, is it on the egr stuff? got a pic of where it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom