Started heart transplant and new legs for my Helga, '89 '62. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
10 years in the planning and finances. I'm the second owner. I got her in 2004 with 170,000 on it. Now has 331,000. She's a California car and has only 2 small spots of rust in one rear wheel well. She was clear coated and under coated by the first owner. My 4 year search for her really paid off. The engine rear main seal can't be replaced any more and the crank wobbles visibly so..... Rebuilt '97 5.7L Vortec TBI and 700R4 transmission going in. Heavy OME suspension and 3" lift going under. Procomp 31s. I have ridden her into the ground literally and she's never ever failed me even in places I shouldn't have gone but I just can't bear to part with her. She's my transportation, my recreation (since becoming disabled), and even my sometime camping shelter. I spend 30+ days a year offroading on rough ranch roads, rock creek beds, mud mud mud and more mud, etc. but no Rubicon stuff. Engine is out as of yesterday and the 5.7 goes to the rebuilder Monday. Transmission goes in to the rebuilder and AA T.C. adapter kit also on Tuesday. We tear out the suspension by Wed. when the OME kit should be here. I've read nearly every thread on SBC conversions on iHMud and I thank everybody for the great posts on the transplants they've done. If anyone's interested in a running complete 3FE and A440 PM me. I'll be parting out engine and transmission peripherals (all recent upgrades to radiator, alternator, belts etc.) Thanks for all your info it's been very very helpful. Dave

Good luck with the work. Post pics, pics and more pics.

When you get tired of posting pics have a beer and post more pics!

Sounds like you are going to turn it around pretty quickly, hope it all goes well

Have to get done before Aug. 1st when all the seasons start. My F250 is too long and too heavy for the roads and I don't trust my CJ7. 1976 CJ7 is for sale BTW. Almost restored but Helga comes first.

I can't get the transfer case to separate from the transmission. All the bolts are out. Do I have take the stop nut off of the main shaft? Doesn't that set all the insides free? I've even hung the thing form the cherry picker to try to get it loose but no dice. I'm told it should slip right off. Any hints?
Thanks

I hope someone else can chime in but the case has to be taken apart, in other words open the case up, remove tha back half and then continue from there. The case is bolted to the tranny from the inside. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that's the case

Well after delays resulting from buying a bad engine and transmission the build is loping along. Got the 700R transmission rebuilt and upgraded with high output pumps, wider band etc. AA TC kit installed. Still waiting for the engine. Just completed the OME heavy suspension upgrade. Very easy. Everything was bolt in. Seems like my steering problems were due to bent and loose shackles. Never done that before. The stock springs were actually flat and even concave. I need a ladder now to get in the thing, LOL! The rocker panels are above my knees with no engine and transmission weight in it. Installed the 4+ rear swing out bumper. It was bolt in after grinding and chiseling out the 18 3/8" rivets that held in the rear cross member. 18! No easy way to do that short of lifting the body off the frame which I did. A torch or plasma cutter would have been easier but I didn't want to drop the gas tank. It's a very stout unit and should hold up well. The weight will likely bring it down a little. I'm running Procomp 31s and Procomp rims. It looks badass! I get to repair and replace small things at the same time. Seems like all the hoses and rubber parts are original and in need of replacement. I'm glad i'm taking the time to get that done while I'm at it. The FJ62 is tough as nails and I can see why. It's built like a tank. Much stouter than my '76 CJ7. 331,000 miles and no major rust. It was undercoated and that held up very well. I hauled it up on the cherry picker and pressure washed the whole underside before I started. So much mud hiding in there I could not believe. Thank God for the skid plates too. New disks on order for the front and rebuilt brake booster with new master is in. Tomorrow it goes up on stands for the transmission and cross member location and brake work. I'll try to use the stock drive shafts but I have the smaller yokes if it doesn't have clearance and I have to get a smaller diameter drive shaft built. They say I should have the engine at the end of the week. Only 2 weeks late. It's coming in as a short block and I have to build the whole thing up from scratch. Hot tank dipping all the manifolds, bolts, pan, etc. Gasket sets are in and head bolts should be here later this week too. Just need to get some rams horns. Any tips on the fan shroud? I took out the center console and the rear heater. Much ado about extra stuff there. Not needed here in Sunny Crazyfornia, Never really used it. I'm probably getting a stereo Tuffy. My cost is now sitting at nearly double my original estimate. I'm retired so I do it all now because I'm not getting any more money in the future. It makes sense to go all the way while I have it torn down anyway and avoid a future tear down for something I didn't fix. I'm taken back to my youth and the several hotrods I've done over the years. I guess I've owned about every car we've seen on the hotrod shows. They were just old cars back then. Now I couldn't afford one but I do have a '57 Ford Ranchero I'm working on too. I got this crazy habit from my dad. It's good to be doing this again. OK, well, time for bed and rest up for tomorrow. This thing has has taken up so much time I haven't gone fishing this spring at all. Dang! I'm shooting at being done by Aug. 1st. Deer season starts early in 105 degree weather out here. I hope my long winded chat doesn't offend anyone. Thanks to all the members in the forums I haven't run across anything unexpected. Information is the key. Thanks again. Dave

Anyone used the CA CARB compliant Flowtech headers 91832-1FLT in a 62 with a 5.7L SBC? Any clearance issues? I can't find any used ramshorns from 1995-2000 5.7s or any compliant replacementes.

Tubedaddy2000 - your posting reminds me that without good memories, a Land Cruiser is just another truck. Thanks for sharing your story. Still need pix!

Anyone used the CA CARB compliant Flowtech headers 91832-1FLT in a 62 with a 5.7L SBC? Any clearance issues? I can't find any used ramshorns from 1995-2000 5.7s or any compliant replacementes.
You have tried all the wrecking yards and what not? Hard to believe that they would not have something to sell you.
Try Car-part.com or SCADA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom