Started Birf job! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ordered the CDAN pack some weeks ago...finally started this afternoon (after scrambling for some last minutes tools and getting new tires.

few things i noticed...

the torque wrench and breaker bars are pretty much vital to this project....
shop towels and degreasers do wonders....and flat screwdrivers go a LONG way. and i love hammers and brass drifts

surprisingly, i had no trouble at all with hub cone washers....my nails (through latex) were good enough to pop them out

i'm halfway done with ONE side....because we started so late....we took apart everything but were too tired to repack and put back together...

so far it has been a breeze...(except for the bolts and nuts that refuse to come off nicely....)

and i expect to finish up both sides by tomorrow evening :D D: D

Nice job. It's a great feeling get a job done like this. Like you said, not hard but very time consuming and very messy.

So did you finish her up? I know I felt great when I was done with my Birf's, it gave me confidence to tackle other jobs.
Good luck
S

i've completed one side...

opened up the other side and cleaned everything, just have to repack all the bearings and the birf and put it back together..disassembling the drivers side went about three times the speed of the passenger side....:D :D

You want to do more? :D

Come on down to Laguna Niguel. My PS was done under warranty at 60K and the DS has never been done. I know, I know, I'm pushing my luck with a truck with 150K.

Hey whoster, how were the birfs when you got into them? I ask because I have only seen one instance where both sides were similar. By that I mean both had the same amount of neglect. On my '97 LX I did the knuckles at 65K miles, passenger knuckle (one I started with) looked great inside, plenty of grease, inner axle seal was fine, etc...I ofcourse did the work anyway, but was kinda bummed that it wasn't really necessary possibly, however, when I got to the driver's side it was totally different, gear oil had washed the entire birf free of all grease, so very important to do that one.

Well last night I pulled apart the frontend in my truck, same story, only reversed. I started with the driver's side, it was fine, grease, seals ok, etc...I then moved to the passenger side, somewhat disgruntled (I just got this vehicle, wasn't sure if it was done before, apparently it was), but the passenger side was totally different, gear oil had washed 99% of the grease out...just bizzare they were so different, and somehow I started with the good side each time...odd...

I am coming to the conclusion that inner axle seal integrity is the key to long birf service. If we can keep the oil out, we are probably able to keep the grease in.

I feel pretty good when I look at my knuckles and they are DRY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom