Start of Project Indian Outlaw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay a little history on how this started. Last year I went to the Yankee Toys Fall Gathering for the first time with my Tacoma and saw all the Cruisers and was hooked. With in a month I ended up purchasing a 74 FJ40 off eBay which was out near Buffalo New York. It was about 600 miles round trip and I based my decision on pictures rather than driving all the way out there. It wasn’t running, had what was supposed to be a 327 mated to the factory 3spd and the body appeared to be in decent shape. I rented full trailer and took off to get it with my neighbor. After about 6 hours of driving we got there and loaded it up. Then the torrential rains started and we ended up making it back at about 11pm. I get it into my driveway and we start to unload with the help of my girl. It was dark, I was tired and it almost rolled into the corner of my garage. Luckily my neighbor John was able to stop it by using a strap which was attached.

So in the next couple of weeks I start to evaluate my new project. I was poking around the missing tranny cover and all of a sudden I see a blur of something moving around. Turns out my new toy came complete with mice. Eventually I find that the frame had been repaired by some hack who I believe was trying to build a model of the Brookline Bridge rather than doing a frame repair. It was also severely tweaked off to the driver’s side. The tub also had some hack repairs including welding it to the hacked frame rather than using body mounts. The body was cracked on one side where it met the cowl. Needless to say I was very disappointed. :crybaby:

Later that month I figured that it was mostly junk and got a couple of friends together to tear it apart and salvage what I could sell and crap what was junk. I was rather disappointed. We pulled the bib, aprons, fender, roll bar, seats and cowl but had trouble getting the tub off because it was welded and I didn’t have torch. And that’s how it sat over the winter as I was pretty bummed that I had a pile of junk sitting in the garage.

Then I met Pete (Old Iron on Mud) who posted with Yankee Toys that he had some FJ40 parts and found out that he had a frame. That still didn’t solve the body issue. After multiple calls to Cruiser Solutions Ted the owner said that he did have a body that he was saving for a customer but that the customer hadn’t told him he really wanted it or not. It was a little more than what I wanted to spend but it was really solid so I went with it. I took the trip off to pick the frame and body up at the same time.

Lessons Learned:
  • Don’t buy a Land Cruiser off eBay with you looking at it first. (I normally have better judgment than this…….really I do)
  • Next time buy a Land Cruiser which is more complete.
  • Wait it out because there is probably a better deal around the corner.

Build Plan:
I am going try to keep it as cheap as possible but well see what happens. The following list is not set in stone but it’s a plan
Chevy 350 to replace the 305 (which was supposed to be a 327)
SM465 with Classic Cruiser Adapter for the factory 3 spd T-Case
Factory Axles with disk brake conversion from some FJ62 axles, and GM disks out back
Aussie locker in the rear with 4:10 gears
Saginaw P/S Conversion
HFS 4” lift with some body trimming
35” Tires either some sort of Interco tire or Wrangler MTRs

I will try to fabricate my own bumpers, tire carrier, sliders and who know what ever else. Don’t have a whole lot of fab experience so we shall see how that works out. I will do my best to get pics up ASAP however progress will probably only go as fast as money will allow. I apoligise for the long winded intro but here starts “Project Indian Outlaw”

Welcome and good luck with your project. Sounds like you have lots of work (fun) ahead.

Thanks, It will be a lot of work. Can't wait to wheel it but looking forward to the build. I have attached a one of the few pictures I had of the original that the PO sent me and one of the used body I picked up.
Old POS.JPG
New Body.JPG

Just thought that I would post a couple more pictures. Here is he frame which I picked up and a couple shots of the old junk. I don't know what the guy was thinking when he tried to repair the old frame. My back yard kind of looks like a junk yard currently.

Last edited:
Looks like you have some work ahead of you here.

Go at it slow and steady and you will get it.

This is a good place to be building it on. When you have questions someone out there will have the answer.

Good luck with it and keep posting pics.

Yea, I've seen some of the trucks on Ebay from my area. Very scary the price some of these people are paying for parts. That tub you picked up is in great shape. I'd be over the moon to find one in that kind of shape. Good luck with your build.
:beer:

Jason,

Looks like a fun project! Make that thing bad ass-

I have a TBI 350 if you are interested. 103K on it. I can even work on delivery if you are interested.

Stew

cruzer said:
Jason,

Looks like a fun project! Make that thing bad ass-

I have a TBI 350 if you are interested. 103K on it. I can even work on delivery if you are interested.

Stew

I'm interested but haven't gotten that far. Originally I had planned on running a q-jet carb. I know that the TBI would be better for wheeling but don't know how involved it is getting something like this set up correctly.

good luck!! you should think about power steering

Thats part of the plan. Figuring I will do the Saninaw conversion since I will be running a GM motor.

Nice Frame...the new one that is!!!! Actually guys I saw the tub he has and he did real good scoring that one. It's a heavy bugger, we had to pull it off the trailer to put the frame on he bought, then put it back on. It was a fun challange.

Keep up the great work JAson, glad to see that you were able to start your build.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Pete

Okay so not that much done so far. I was able to remove all of the old cruiser frame and body and get the frame into the garage. I picked up a Dewalt grinder and started grinding rivets to remove the old front bumper, steering box, motor mounts and left over body mounts. I have also started removing the rear most cross member/ bumper. It look as if someone has pulled the truck from there and since the supports were rotted the crossmember bent at the bottom. I would like to add a bumper with tire carrier and don’t want to spend the $300 to pick this piece up new. So I was thinking about building it out of channel steel. Has anyone done this before? If so do you have any pictures? Thanks

No new pictures but I did make some progress over the past couple of weeks. Stripped off the rear crossmember which was bend and took off and old winch mount, steering box, motor mounts and other misc crap off the frame.

Stripped the axles down to the housings and took them and the frame to get sandblasted. The guy said that they will be done in two weeks. It looked kind of funny with the frame sticking half out of the bed of my truck. I'll make sure I get a picture of that when I bring it home.

Leaping Deer - I thought this might be more appropriate for your avatar. You've gotta get rid of the heep grill.

That frame looks a little mangled & heavily oxidized. Are you gonna try & repair it? The tub looks really good though. If this is your first project & you wanna do it right the first time, a 220V welder & plasma cutter & heavy duty air compressor should be tops on your list. You may be able to get by w/ a little buzzbox welder & torch, but it ain't gonna be fun! Besides going to Dana 60's, this is the best advice I can ever give a first timer..... Post up some progress pics.....

Are you in VT or NH? I can't remember. Give Poor wally in southern VT a call if you need stuff or fab.

That tub does not look bad at all. Good luck in your project!

That frame looks a little mangled & heavily oxidized. Are you gonna try & repair it? The tub looks really good though. If this is your first project & you wanna do it right the first time, a 220V welder & plasma cutter & heavy duty air compressor should be tops on your list. You may be able to get by w/ a little buzzbox welder & torch, but it ain't gonna be fun! Besides going to Dana 60's, this is the best advice I can ever give a first timer..... Post up some progress pics.....

The winch mount on the front of the frame was a little bent up as well as the rear cross membember/bumper. Both of which were removed. Other than that it appears to be pretty straight. At least more so than my old frame. Its off at the sandblast right now and I will post better pictures when it gets back. Right now I have attached some pictures of the old frame.

Edit: LC_Hamma are you looking at the picture of just section or the whole frame when you made the comment about the frame being mangled? That is actually a picture of the old frame. The picture of the whole frame is actually the frame in intend to use. It needs a little work but there is no rot.

As far as the 220v welder, plasma cutter and heavy duty compressor I want to buy all of that at some point but I probably wont be seeing it for this project so my 110 mig, 5hp compressor and dewalt grinder will have to do.

Rabid I am down here in Rhode Island. I have heard of Wally and if I need some help with some fab I may give him a call.
Old Frame in Yard 1.jpg
Old Frame in Yard 2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom