Standardized comms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So after lots of discussion, a little testing with @GLTHFJ60 and @JohnVee , and a lot of help from @emorth I think we have a plan.

Simple version is ONSC will move from recommending you have a CB to GMRS just like a lot of other clubs and organizations starting at Relic Run 2022. Many of us will have ham radio to supplement/back up the GMRS but communication within the groups will be GMRS.

If you have an older FRS/GMRS handheld that should work fine. If you want to pick up a new radio Midland seems to have some really good options and be ready to go. Motorola and Baofeng/other Chinese radios (new GMRS models) should work too but may need codes turned off or something simple to hear each other.
Short version any GMRS radio should be good including/especially the new higher power mobile options. We're looking forward to testing range on those.

Older Baofeng radios can transmit on GMRS frequencies. There's an FCC type rule your breaking but it happens all the time.
I've attached a Chirp file if you have the programing cable and want to try it. If you have a Baofeng and no cable there will be a few of us with laptops at Relic Run that can fix you up.

CCLC Motorola radios have the GMRS channels programed in with a code/tone on by default. The chirp file includes those as CLCC 1, CLCC 2, etc. A Midland can talk to those just fine by turning on the code/tone in the chart from post #95. If I understand correctly the Motorolas can also turn off the code/tone with a button on the side and talk to all radios with no tone set.

Relic Run will be the first event trying GMRS and seeing how all the radios work together and what range we get so we'll look forward to seeing how it all goes.
Good spreadsheet. Might be helpful to add the "Power" column from Chirp to stay within the power rating for the GMRS channels. I think both the UV82 and UV5R have dual power ratings.

Good spreadsheet. Might be helpful to add the "Power" column from Chirp to stay within the power rating for the GMRS channels. I think both the UV82 and UV5R have dual power ratings.

Good point. I had the power set lower on some channels in the file but couldn't attach the .img full Chirp file, only the .csv. I'll look at some other options for the the file.

*edit. Can't attach the .img Chirp file type. It's on post #99 as a .dxf that needs to be renamed to .img

Last edited:

Amateur and GMRS license fees change to $35 on April 19, 2022​

So after lots of discussion, a little testing with @GLTHFJ60 and @JohnVee , and a lot of help from @emorth I think we have a plan.

Simple version is ONSC will move from recommending you have a CB to GMRS just like a lot of other clubs and organizations starting at Relic Run 2022. Many of us will have ham radio to supplement/back up the GMRS but communication within the groups will be GMRS.

If you have an older FRS/GMRS handheld that should work fine. If you want to pick up a new radio Midland seems to have some really good options and be ready to go. Motorola and Baofeng/other Chinese radios (new GMRS models) should work too but may need codes turned off or something simple to hear each other.
Short version any GMRS radio should be good including/especially the new higher power mobile options. We're looking forward to testing range on those.

Older Baofeng radios can transmit on GMRS frequencies. There's an FCC type rule your breaking but it happens all the time.
I've attached a Chirp file if you have the programing cable and want to try it. .csc and a .dxf that needs to be renamed .img Website won't let me attach the correct file type.
If you have a Baofeng and no cable there will be a few of us with laptops at Relic Run that can fix you up.

CCLC Motorola radios have the GMRS channels programed in with a code/tone on by default. The chirp file includes those as CLCC 1, CLCC 2, etc. A Midland can talk to those just fine by turning on the code/tone in the chart from post #95. If I understand correctly the Motorolas can also turn off the code/tone with a button on the side and talk to all radios with no tone set.

Relic Run will be the first event trying GMRS and seeing how all the radios work together and what range we get so we'll look forward to seeing how it all goes.
My Baofengs are programmed w the CLCC chirp file. Do I need to reprogram with this new file?

My Baofengs are programmed w the CLCC chirp file. Do I need to reprogram with this new file?

No, you should be fine.
But, it will be better if you also have the standard GMRS channels programed in with no code/tones to talk with off the shelf GMRS radios. Changing codes/tones from the front of a Baofeng is challenging. That's all that's really in that file, 2 sets of GMRS channels, 1 open and 1 with the codes that CLCC uses.

For anyone still wanting a Midland. They are having a flash sale that ends tomorrow. $35 off of $150+. They also have free shipping on orders $150+.

Image clipped from my email but use code "GMRS".

Also as a reminder, the fee for a GMRS license is now only $35 👍

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 10.14.36 AM.png

Has anybody else had the same nightmare as me while trying to apply for an FRN and then a license? I started last night. I registered my email username and PW and used the link I was emailed to complete the process. From there, it took 4 tries to get accepted while logging in on that screen. Then came the random closing of screens and redirects to various login pages. I finally completed the FRN form, but after taking 20 minutes to accomplish that, there was a banner on the screen saying the system will be down for maintenance...starting in 10 minutes! So I went to bed.

Today, I was able to get right in and went to the GMRS License option. Then this started... Roughly 2 out of every 3 CONTINUE button attempts throughout the process immediately got me this screen:

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 11.32.31 AM.png

So, start the process again. Each time. WTF? All told, I had over 45 minutes in this before finally completing the payment process. Government-run processes, amiright?

Has anybody else had the same nightmare as me while trying to apply for an FRN and then a license? I started last night. I registered my email username and PW and used the link I was emailed to complete the process. From there, it took 4 tries to get accepted while logging in on that screen. Then came the random closing of screens and redirects to various login pages. I finally completed the FRN form, but after taking 20 minutes to accomplish that, there was a banner on the screen saying the system will be down for maintenance...starting in 10 minutes! So I went to bed.

Today, I was able to get right in and went to the GMRS License option. Then this started... Roughly 2 out of every 3 CONTINUE button attempts throughout the process immediately got me this screen:

View attachment 2987941

So, start the process again. Each time. WTF? All told, I had over 45 minutes in this before finally completing the payment process. Government-run processes, amiright?
I had a similar experience. Got through all the licensing forms and when I went to CORES to pay, it expired. Typical GOVCO BS.

I had a similar experience. Got through all the licensing forms and when I went to CORES to pay, it expired. Typical GOVCO BS.
CORES is such a classic usg acronym too. LOL. I'll report back when I get my license later this week. Got me nervous @JohnVee with my apple laptop here.

Last edited:
CORES is such a classic usg sh-ty acronym too. LOL. I'll report back when I get my license later this week. Got me nervous @JohnVee with my apple laptop here.
I tried moving from safari to chrome last night but that was when the Down For Maintenance notice appeared so I quit.

That website is such a mess. Had to register for a new FRN because it said I already had one but searching by name comes up with nothing.

Finally get the application submitted and paid for, but no email confirmation as of yet and searching for an open application comes up with zilch :bang:

UPDATE: Success! Call Sign is WRQL299

Last edited:
Got my GMRS license relatively easily using my MacBook. No issues with the website. I submitted payment and several hours later they emailed me confirmation and license info. It was not obvious when I submitted payment that it did go through, but I figured I'd hear back eventually and I did. Pretty stoked! Woot, woot, legal radio action incoming.

So, how has this system worked so far?
Sorry I haven't been to any events since last year, but I want to get comms squared away for when I am able to go to events with ONSC again!

Also, any suggestions for a GMRS radio? I'm debating betwen the MXT400 and MXT500

I got the MTX500 thinking it was the repeater. It is not the repeater. I will bring the repeater I purchased from @emorth and offer programming again for the baeofong 5r version. Sean, I’d like to give this thing another try.

I got the midland mxt400 bundle and have been happy with it. No issues at gsmtr and on the road the range is really good with the 6db antenna. Was picking up guys miles away on the way back from fall crawl trying to talk to Johnny on the road ahead of me. The guys said they were on the next mountain over.

I got the MTX500 thinking it was the repeater. It is not the repeater. I will bring the repeater I purchased from @emorth and offer programming again for the baeofong 5r version. Sean, I’d like to give this thing another try.
Have you used it as a radio? I'm debating between the MXT400 and MXT500. Not sure if the 10W of extra power is worth the $200 price difference.
Does anyone know if there are any other substantial differences between the two?

Are there any other radios that y'all have experience with or suggest? I read that the BTECH GMRS-50X2 is a decent choice as well...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom