Standard setup for electrical expansion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wondering if there is a more or less standardized approach for adding electrical components to a J80.

For my 3gen 4Runner, there is an approach that has become standardized by trial an error for adding relays, fuses etc. to support additional electrical items- lights, winches, heaters, subwoofers, etc.:

As in, someone found a location under the hood that would support a new board with electrical components, with a standard layout and suggestions for electrical components. Is there a standard approch for expanding electrical circuits that has been published for the J80? (I tried a lot of search strategies, perhaps this is so basic it was published very long ago?)

I don't think there's a "standard" answer, but something like this works nicely. I added item after item to my rig and ended up with a wiring mess, finally added a fuse block and really cleaned the mess up. I still needed to clean it up a bit more after these pics, but overall, it's so much nicer now.

20200723_185153.jpg

20200723_185150.jpg

20200723_163647.jpg

Bottom picture is the before pic.

Here is what I made for a build for a customer. I (like you) didn't see any current factory or aftermarket support for add-on electrical components, so I did this and am considering offering my services to mud, similar to what @slcfj62 did. Would be made-to-order.
This would sit up and to the left of the brake petal, and would include the bracketry for installation, relays and fuses, as well as labeled pigtails (ones in the pic are incomplete, but you get the idea) and a dedicated, cut-to-length 10 gage run to the battery (power and ground). would be bolt-on other than splicing your own wires to the pigtails.
20200925_141953.jpg
20200925_131002.jpg

Last edited:
Switch Pros or an SPod?

That is the same aux fuse box I have used on 2 vehicles now. I like it better than the side spade terminal types.

You can also go the passenger quarter panel route and use either the Wits-End kit or make your own like I did. This was the test run to make sure it all worked. There's USB ports in the rear door handles where the ash trays were and then one in the shifter console. The standard Toyota fog light switch turns them off an on. I used a BlueSea fuse block like others.

20200503_210258.jpg

With the panel on.

20200504_131405.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom