stalls at full stop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm going crazy.. my 1984 lc seems to squirt fuel into the #1 venturi at idle...naturaaly it is a rough idle and will stall unless idle speed is set hi. It will idle okay when pointed uphill. but stallls our on a downhill or coming to a full stop on a flat. I can restart it with two pumps and it will idlw okay... I've rebult the carb...adjusted float and needle / seat ...i've checked the fuel cut soleniod....it clicks, but could this be the way fuel is getting in.......I had already rebuilt the carb when i noticed the relay fuse to the solonoid was burnt out...replaced fuses etc still runs poorly .....any ideas???

I would figure out the rough idle. Was it rough before you rebuilt the carb? Where do you have the float set?

I figured it out, but you won't belive it. The original rough idle was most likely the blownfuse for the solonoid cutoff valve....that means that too much gas will flood thru the venturi at idle when it should, of course, be shut off by the solonoid. Howevwer, since I had already taken the carb to get "rebuilt" and still couldn't get to idle, still couldn't run well at low speed and hi vacuum. ( total cost now $260 for the rebuild, 25cents for the fuse.) So I blew into each hose of the vacuum ports, which were 4 brass colored intakes at the base of the carb. THe top port, which controls the fuel cut solonoid valve was obstructed....i could not hear any air pass. Once again I took off the carb and this time I separated the throttle body from the float bowl assembly. I discovered that the insulator block and gaskets were installed upside down. THere was no opening for the port to get any vacuum ! the port terminated into the solid body of the insulator block!! I flipped it over and saw that the vacuum port hole aligns with another hole on the insulator block and routes the air thru the carb... AS FOR THE BOZOS WHO REBUILT THE CARB AND INSTALLED THE INSULATOR PLATE UPSIDE DOWN.....they offered me $50.00 refund and said I should have brought it back to them when I found out it wouldn't work. It only took two weeks, several rebuilds by mysellf, one by a carb rebuild shop and a trip to the original mech who said needle and seat and I wont work on it.........LANDCRUISERS, do it yourself and don't llet anybody tell you its too complicated. THe proffessionals screwed me at every turn and this whole problem could have been fixed by checking the fusebox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that buddy. I'm about to start my own rebuild pretty soon so that I don't have to go through that.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom