Stalling Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jfc

Threads
My 81 BJ60 keeps stalling, only when at idle. I hear a click click, in the fuel control realay and then it shuts off. The I changed the fuel control realay with one from a parts truck, but the problem persistes. One guy in the club had it hapen to his BJ60 as well but he saw an arcing in the relays conection, which I don't see. When I hear the click and rev the engine it doesn't stall. I think it may by as bad ground or something, which may cut power to the relay and thus shut my edic off???

:mad:

Jim

Oh ya seems to only hapen when enging is very hot. Any suggestino on what it could be would be greatly apreciated. :cheers:

Hi Jim

1) Do you have oil? :D

2) Put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it, and see what your hot idle psi is. If it's below 5-6lbs, your EDIC is doing it's job (low oil pressure shut down).

What weight oil are you using? Maybe try a containor of Lucas oil stabilizer and see it that makes a difference for now...if you can't get a gauge on it right away....

hth's

gb

I've had to replace the fuel pump diapragm on mine because it would stall while idling but there was NO noise from the fuel control relay.

The low oil pressure shutoff works by grounding out the contact so you may want to ensure that the wire is connected and not just dangling.

Ya, check the oil, and oil pressure, could be just what Greg says - low oil pressure shut off.

REgards

Mine will frequently shut off if I don't goose it justa little after startup. Low oil pressure.

THanks for the comments.

I am using 15W40, MotoMaster Diesel Oil.

I checked my oil level and it was a little low, But I do notice the oil pressure is very low at idle. I'll try topping the oil and see if its better. Thats probaly my problem, is that what the fuel control realy does, sut off at low oil pressure?

jfc said:
I checked my oil level and it was a little low, But I do notice the oil pressure is very low at idle. I'll try topping the oil and see if its better. Thats probaly my problem, is that what the fuel control realy does, sut off at low oil pressure?

That...and pulls the fuel lever to the over inject position to start, and brings it to the run position after starting...then pushs the lever to the no fuel position to stop.

If you're ever in Abby stop by and we can throw a gauge on it...

gb

Oil pressure relief valve might be sticking if your pressure is low at idle. oil may be recircing to the suction side of your pump . Never seen an oil pump fail.

where is this relay ? in the glove box ? i have a surging/stalling isue and have heard the clicking noise in my glove box , i thought the only relay in there was for the glow plugs ?

The fuel control (edic) relay is grounded through the bolt that hold it to the inner kick panel. If that corrodes, the ground goes bad.
So if the oil is not the culprit, make sure the connection is clean, or put another ground wire to the relay.
j

also make sure the battery is grounded to the body of the car well, not just to the engine. this should fix the stalling/surging issue if you trace ground all the way through to the relay

sam

Oil pressure relief valve might be sticking if your pressure is low at idle. oil may be recircing to the suction side of your pump . Never seen an oil pump fail.

On my B (78 BJ40) I find that when the engine is warm, it has trouble getting oil pressure when restarted. I usually have to start it 2 or 3 times, or 'goose' the throttle.. It has done this through many oil changes and I use a wix, so I dont think its oil or filter related. Is there an anti-drain valve anywhere else on the engine? Could it be a sticking pressure relief valve? Perhaps the oil pump is worn and is having trouble re-priming?

Daryl

The fuel control (edic) relay is grounded through the bolt that hold it to the inner kick panel. If that corrodes, the ground goes bad.
So if the oil is not the culprit, make sure the connection is clean, or put another ground wire to the relay.
j

just found this old post, and I have to cite and correct myself. The edic relay does NOT ground through the bolt, it is grounded by wire. it works fine when just hanging there on the connector, without being bolted on.
that's all, cheers,
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom