Stall at idle 2L-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

Recently I have experienced my '87 LJ70 2L-T stalling at idle especially when cold. When driving in traffic, I have experienced stall at traffic lights a few times even when the engine has been running for 10-15 minutes. Besides from stalling and having a hard time idle when cold the engines seems to run perfectly and pulls nicely through out the revs as usually.

I have checked for vacuum leaks but can't find any obvious leaks (haven't used carb cleaner or similar to check though). I have cleaned the pipes from the turbo to inlet manifold but it still idles bad when cold. I have checked the wires on the diesel injection pump.

Does anybody have a few tips on how to trouble shoot this problem and find a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Mikkel

Note:

I just came home from work and took the car for a ride. The problem seems to only occure when i'm coming to a stop / deacceleration?

Stalls are because no fuel or air at idle. Now on an EFI diesel, there is more stuff at play here than I'm just not that up on.

Does it just shutoff like you shut the key off or does it stumble and miss then shutoff?

What are your idle RPM's at?

Stalls are because no fuel or air at idle. Now on an EFI diesel, there is more stuff at play here than I'm just not that up on.

Does it just shutoff like you shut the key off or does it stumble and miss then shutoff?

The 87 2LT is not EFI. So all the standard rotary mechanical pump theory applies here.

OK, here's my idea. Is it possible your alternator is going and the voltage is dropping enough at idle that the fuel shut off solenoid is closing?

The 87 2LT is not EFI. So all the standard rotary mechanical pump theory applies here.

OK, here's my idea. Is it possible your alternator is going and the voltage is dropping enough at idle that the fuel shut off solenoid is closing?

Correct, I was thinking 2LTE for some reason. Good thought on the alternator.

Hi, thanks for response. I don't think the alternator is bad as i changed it to a brand new one 6 months ago. Also changed the external voltage regulator.

As mentioned, it is mechanical injected. It stumbles because of drop in rps - often i can "catch" it by giving it some gas. idle is around 750-800 rpm.

Hi, thanks for response. I don't think the alternator is bad as i changed it to a brand new one 6 months ago. Also changed the external voltage regulator.

Maybe check the voltage at the solenoid to be sure? Could be a bad ground?

Is it possible the idle adjust screw has come loose?

Maybe check the voltage at the solenoid to be sure? Could be a bad ground?

Is it possible the idle adjust screw has come loose?

I wasen't able to check the voltage while running, as it is a very tight fit so unplugged the two electrical plugs on the diesel pump and turn the key over to ignition and the voltage was around 12v (11,8-11,9).

I turned idle screw up put didn't solve the problem.

I have recorded a video of how the engine idles just fine, but then after reving at around 1500-2000 rpm for 30-40 seconds, it won't idle anymore and I need to practically floor it to catch it stalls.

Thanks in advance.

Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Check the pick-up sock in the fuel tank for debris?

Has the injection pump ever been serviced? Any chance it is starting to wear out? Maybe there is something wrong with the governor inside, or a spring has broken?

Does the pump have the ACSD mechanism still? (cold start advance) On the 1HDT, this mechanism can cause damage to the inside of the injection pump over time, so many people remove it. Not sure if this happens to other VE pumps or not.

Also, under the fuel shut off solenoid is a screen that can fill with debris and cause issues. You could remove the fuel shut off solenoid and check/clean this screen.

I think pumps have something to stop the engine from slowing down too quick and stalling, like a dampener or dashpot.

Hi again,

I have tried quick a few things as suggest here but no luck. The problem got quite sever and it would almost not run so I gave up and drove it to my mechanic.

I'll give you an update when (hopefully) he finds the culprit.

Mikkel

Problem solved!

It turned out to be false air being sucked in at the gas tank - the two hoses got clamped down tight and that was it! Easy fix but kind of embarrasses that I didn't realize it myself. I had checked the tubes going from the diesel pump all the way to the tank, but didn't find the culprit at the time.

Anyhow ! Thanks for all of your advise.

Have a great day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom