Stainless Steel Windshield/Doors/Hood/Amby FJ40 Hinge Pins with Bronze Bushings. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all, I got all my door and hood hinge pins out ok, but the windshield ones are killing me!

I've cut off the nub at either end, soaked on penetrating oil and have been wailing on the with a hammer over a socket and can barely make it move. I don't have a press, any tips?

Hey all, I got all my door and hood hinge pins out ok, but the windshield ones are killing me!

I've cut off the nub at either end, soaked on penetrating oil and have been wailing on the with a hammer over a socket and can barely make it move. I don't have a press, any tips?
Mine were very very bad also. I used a Dremel with a really skinny cut off disk and cut between the hinges very carefully so as not to hit the actual hinge at all. I did that all the way around on both sides. There was still a very small part of the post I was not able to cut without damaging the hinge. Fortunately I was able to whack it on the side of the middle ear with the hammer and the remaining part of the pin was sheered. Then I went about driving out the three cut Pin stubs one at a time. Get a long punch or one of your old door hinge pins to go through the bottom of the two ear hinge to drive the knurled chunk out if the top.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do for them!

If your hinge frames are off the truck, try backing them with something heavy like a block of metal as you strike the pin from the other side.
If you are planning on re-painting your hinge frames, try using a plumber’s torch like map gas. I have had good results by using this method in the past. This will burn out a lot off the corrosion and loosen the pins.
Another option is an air hammer with punch attachment.
All I can say is if you are getting frustrated, soak them down again and walk away. Take your time and be careful not to damage the hinge frames. I know sometimes they can be a pain in the butt because they can get so corroded, but eventually they will start the move.
I hope this helps.
SMG

Last edited:
I drilled mine out starting with a small drill and then stepping it up and took out about 3/4 of the pin material and then they loosened up and i could bang them out with a hammer and pin.

Got mine! I have to disassemble my rig to get these done, but also looking forward to it!

Reactions: SMG
Hi, I would be interested in purchasing the sets for the front doors, windshield, hood, rear doors and the hardtop hatch for a 73' if available. Thanks.

Hello, I am interested in a complete set as well, for a 1983 '40. I am aware there is a set for hood, front doors, burn doors and windshield. Am I missing something?
How can I get prices and availability? Also is posting overseas available? TIA

Hello, I am interested in a complete set as well, for a 1983 '40. I am aware there is a set for hood, front doors, burn doors and windshield. Am I missing something?
How can I get prices and availability? Also is posting overseas available? TIA
PM Sent

Interested in a full set for a 73. PM me when you get a chance, Thanks

Reactions: SMG
After slacking for a year I started my project today. The hood pins went pretty smooth and function great.

077F6013-3DA2-4061-8BE2-A92A0B3A5458.jpeg

72C0EF21-2971-4533-BBAD-19DFC54EE22A.jpeg

Last edited:
Unfortunately my windshield hinge isn’t going to be so easy. I’ve been thinking the drivers side hinge pin was broken and it was. I was able to get one side out with a 20 ton press but even after heating the other side the hinge started to deform so I stopped. I’m now trying to sort out my next steps since I don’t think the center will be any easier. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom