Stainless Steel Snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok so was wondering who has a stainless steel snorkel fitted to there 80 series

any pics and tips and tricks would be great

May I suggest an in cab snorkel? Made one for the taco and it works great. The 80 has the same basic set up as the taco to boot. 20 bucks and some cutting later and you have a perfectly functional, unobtrusive water no go in engine thing.

Also, it doesnt look cheesy hanging off the side of the van. I think, and this is only my opinion, that a stainless snorkel would look twice as bad......

D

May I suggest an in cab snorkel? Made one for the taco and it works great. The 80 has the same basic set up as the taco to boot. 20 bucks and some cutting later and you have a perfectly functional, unobtrusive water no go in engine thing.

Also, it doesnt look cheesy hanging off the side of the van. I think, and this is only my opinion, that a stainless snorkel would look twice as bad......

D

That would be really loud in the cabin.

D

For curiosity sake mind sharing some more info? pics of the taco setup? :)

x2 on pics and further explanation of the in-cab route! I want to hear how loud that is, or what was done to make this not be a problem.

In cab snorkel?

Wouldn't that give you some serious negative pressure in there? Especially at WOT.

If you were in deep water (and you will go looking for it coz you have the snork) wouldn't you be sucking water thorugh the door seals?

Or have to open a window?

Which would maybe let in water lol..........

AND THEN YOU SINK.........

update - My original build in the first link - Just want to say it has held up really well, been used many times, never let me down, and I'm most impressed with how deep these petrol cruisers can go - here's a pic of me rescuing a diesel Surf - he failed what I had just sailed through (deep drop in)

100_0574.jpg

100_0579.jpg

100_0582.jpg

Last edited:
In cab snorkel?

Wouldn't that give you some serious negative pressure in there? Especially at WOT.

If you were in deep water (and you will go looking for it coz you have the snork) wouldn't you be sucking water thorugh the door seals?

Or have to open a window?

Which would maybe let in water lol..........

AND THEN YOU SINK.........

update - My original build in the first link - Just want to say it has held up really well, been used many times, never let me down, and I'm most impressed with how deep these petrol cruisers can go - here's a pic of me rescuing a diesel Surf - he failed what I had just sailed through (deep drop in)

100_0574.jpg

100_0579.jpg

100_0582.jpg

I want to think that there was deeper water in that crossing, otherwise there was no reason for that 4Runner to drown there. If the water was that deep, a snorkel would not have made any difference.:hmm: Besides, if the vehicle is not diesel, how you "waterproof" the electrical system? I have gone deeper than that in my 92 and don't have a snorkel, I want one but, for keeping cooler air to the engine.:cheers:

How many CFM does the FZJ80 require? Seems to me that using the interior cab as an air source would suck the cabin of air and restrict airflow into the engine.

A guy posted a similar mod on his FJC and I questioned this as well. He used a empty vegetable can (beets), went through the firewall into the passenger space behind the glove box. Seems to be a non-functional idea unless, like others have said, one always drives around with the windows down...

as far as the in cab thing, it works fine with the windows up on the taco lol. majority of the time i roll w the windows down on the trail anyways....

you cant notice the extra decibels unless youre a tard on the throttle. at 4000rpm to redline it is loudest (3.4 taco 6). you do get a bit of a hiss at idle and a rather pleasant rumble when on the gas but both are easily masked by the radio if you were to find them offensive..

i also have a 4" deckplate on the tacos air box which is off while dding so that is where the engine gets the majority of its air. when i think i might go through deeper water i pop the hood and screw on the deckplate lid so the snorkel takes over......

the door seals on the taco have not leaked and when i go through water im usually in and out. im not the tool who submarines his s*** just because he has a snorkel. Its a safety device more than anything.

also, im gonna say that it will suck in way less dust than the conventional snorkels if its sucking from the cab..........

as far as making one for the 80 goes just remove your ps fender and have a look. The stocker intake ends over the tire, remove this and tie in some 3 or 4" abs. i bent mine using a heat gun to go over the wheel well on the taco. 2 90's, a strategically placed hole in the apron/firewall and youve got a 30 dollar fully functional snorkel. an added bonus is there is no cutting of the fender.

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00335.jpg

best of all this is what it looks like all snorked up.

DSC00342.jpg

just another option man.

D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom