Stainless steel exhaust ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
Stainless steel exhaust ?

anybody try to get these guys to make a reproduction exhaust for the fj40's?

they have round mufflers like the stock ones ...but...in stainless steel or Aluminized...prices are not that bad also.

Waldron's Antique Exhaust

Waldron's Antique Exhaust

i know you can get the oem steel mufflers and pipes...but...in the NE it rots away quickly...as i need a new one now...and its only been 3 years since i put it on...

for those that want the stock look under the rig...this might be the ticket
39%20Dodge%20Tr%206%20cyl%20half%20T.jpg

Like this

DSC00119.jpg

mmmm stainless

:D

any exhaust shop should be able to bend up stainless tube, not sure on the muffler tho. I had a stainless tube bent for me back in the early 90's....no big deal

I bought misc pieces prebent & straight stainless tubes from JC Whitney, got a tank of argon gas & a spool of stainless wire & butt welded a few connections. Some of the pieces were enlarged on the ends so I can slip fit & disassemble when needed. Also bought a Borla stainless muffler & stainless hangers. I'll do the same exact setup when I get to the :pig: s exhaust:
DSC00302.JPG
DSC00300.JPG
DSC00301.JPG

update on waldronexhaust:

got an email about the muffler

"We can build the Land Cruiser muffler. Dimensions are: 5” round, 24” case, overall length 27 ¼”, 2 1/8” inlet X 1 15/16”, and offset/center. The price in aluminized steel is $80.00 and in stainless steel $160.00. Shipping is $25.00 in 48 states."

If you are interested email: Beth Longacre at Waldron's Antique Exhaust

PO Box 99
208 West Main Street
Centreville, MI 49032

Tel: (269) 467-7185
Fax: (269) 467-9041

Waldron's antique exhaust, car exhaust, truck exhaust, exhaust pipes, mufflers

well i am in the process of ordering up the stainless steel oem copy muffler...it will be:

overall length of 28"
the case will be 24"
inlet length and outlet length will be 2"
will be 5" round ...this is just over the stock size.
the inlet ID will be 2 1/8"....i have a 2" od down pipe
the outlet will be ???? waiting for the tailpipe from SOR...and so the muffler will be built upon my measuring of the tailpipe.

Sor says the tailpipe is 1 3/4" ID seem kinda small...sooo...i have held up the construction of the muffler till i get the pipe in hand.

the only other change is that it is offset inlet and the outlet is centered...we'll see how that changes things whe i line it up...i also have the oem brackets coming in also.

it will look like this ...in 16 GA type 409 Stainless Steel

any thoughts???
round%20short%201.jpg

Johnny,

So your muffler is five years old, is the stainless holding up? I'd like to go all stainless on my 55.

It's holding up very well for the abuse it's given... It's not washed or cleaned very well under there ... It's driven as a DD outside 24/7 as well and I live in the upper north east... Salt... Usually I go 2-3 years on a muffler

It has some minor pitting probably due to dissimilar metals of the bracket and tailpipe/front pipe... But honestly it's not bad

A quick sanding down and paint it would look great :)

It's holding up very well for the abuse it's given... It's not washed or cleaned very well under there ... It's driven as a DD outside 24/7 as well and I live in the upper north east... Salt... Usually I go 2-3 years on a muffler

It has some minor pitting probably due to dissimilar metals of the bracket and tailpipe/front pipe... But honestly it's not bad

A quick sanding down and paint it would look great :)

Are you using 304 or 316 stainless?

i am not a SS expert :)

they say it was 16 GA type 409 Stainless Steel that they used

409 tends to be magnetic (no nickel) (iron content 88% & 11% chromium) and is less resistant to corrosion than 316 (iron 71%, chromium 16%), 409 is used a lot in mufflers and does not have nickel & molybdenum additives which 316 has so 409 is cheaper to produce. 316 corrosive resistance is double that of 409 due to the high chromium & molybdenum additives in 316.

So it goes like 304, 409, 316 and 2205 is better than 316.

As I am on the beach 316 is ideal for me, but if your not hitting the salt pans then 409 is good, 304 is a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom