Stainless Steel Brake Lines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched the forum and have not found the answer to this question, so:
Does anyone have any experience with the Stainless Steel Brake Line upgrade (from Man A Fre)? I have the TLC Monster Calipers with drilled and slotted rotors. Braking performance is better than stock but still has something to be desired (sorta spoiled by my FJ Cruiser). I am told that going with expensive rear discs is not the answer (even TLC said so). Stainless line looks like a pretty inexpensive upgrade if it would actually help.

Thanks

I have stock calipers with Toyota pads and upgraded my lines. I replaced all brake components and installed the SS lines at the same time so it's hard to know what helped most, but my peddle is much firmer and requires less effort to stop the truck. I had to flush a lot of fluid to get all the air out of the lines and the lsv? valve.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I'm no brake expert, but I don't see how SS lines will improve braking.

New brake lines can improve brake performance, especially SS type lines. Over the years, rubber hose get weak and soft, when you apply pressure by pushing the pedal, the line expands rather than the pistons in the caliper. Which results in decreased brake performance.

SS brake hoses have very little expansion, which translates into more pressure going to the brake caliper pistons, which gives better brake performance.

On my 60, I have a basically stock system. Up front, good stock calipers, pads and rotors. The rear drums have good shoes and new wheel cylinders properly adjusted. The master and booster are stock and working well. I added the SS hoses to finish.

What I have is a good reliable system that stops pretty darn well. It not a sports car, but she stops straight and solid, in a quite reasonable distance.

I know you can upgrade, but good stock parts combined with the SS hoses give good solid brakes.

Remember, our Crusiers are all over 20 years old, would you run a 20 year radiator hose? But you run 20+ year old brake hoses?

Change your brake hoses. SS hoses are cheap and last at least as long as rubber, and stop better too!

Doug

Thanks Doug and "Dog",

I think I'll put Stainless Steel Lines on my To-Do list.

David

SS brake hoses are like tightening up a previously sloppy shifter. Suddenly you have a much better feel for what is going on. All of the lost motion that you've been dealing with, and may or may not have known was there, will be gone.
They won't, however, decrease your stopping distances.

With the TLC calipers, do you still have the backing plates ? If you don't, you can't use the MAF SS lines. You have to get longer ones.

I put the MAF lines on, ran the truck about 50 miles, then switched to 4Runner calipers and removed the backing plates and used longer lines. So I have the pair of MAF SS lines, if you're interested. They were cleaned with brake cleaner and stored.

Spike Strip said:
With the TLC calipers, do you still have the backing plates ? If you don't, you can't use the MAF SS lines. You have to get longer ones.

I put the MAF lines on, ran the truck about 50 miles, then switched to 4Runner calipers and removed the backing plates and used longer lines. So I have the pair of MAF SS lines, if you're interested. They were cleaned with brake cleaner and stored.

I pm'd you..

Hmmm. I'll have to check (the vehicle is not home at the moment). I guess you might already have a home for these.

dcoy said:
Hmmm. I'll have to check (the vehicle is not home at the moment). I guess you might already have a home for these.

I only pm'd him to get second in line behind you bro...

Some have reported improved braking with a 4 runner power booster. They aren't cheap but it may be a way to get a step change from what you currently have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom