Stainless nut and washer on battery terminal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hiluxforever

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought a set of oem battery terminals for a 2016 4runner I wrench on and it didn't come with nuts, which for how much they cost is nuts. 🤣😢

So, i went to True Value and bought stainless nuts and lock washers.

Will that be ok? Is there a lube/grease anyone recommends for rust belt?

16746999796017439693062708057696.jpg

yea those are quite $$ terminals---SS should be just fine--you can use the normal dielectric grease for the terminals--some times the terminals are suppied with fiber pads that go underneath the terminal connections-around the batt post--that can be saturated with the Die grease, plus put the grease all over the termials(after you make the connections tight)--don't get the grease in between the terminal and bat post--keep that clean

I've used stainless ones without problems. If there is some scientific reason, it sure didn't cause me any trouble.

There are battery terminal products on the shelf to both clean and protect.

Make sure you use a slight amount of grease on the thread. Any type of grease or anti-seize is better than none. My favorite anti-seize grease for SS or anything hi-temp is OKS-250 grease.

SS welds itself over time. It is called a chemical weld. It can also weld itself when being driven with an impact wrench. The heat from the mechanical effort seizes the bolt or nut and you're ****ed afterward.

Make sure you use a slight amount of grease on the thread. Any type of grease or anti-seize is better than none. My favorite anti-seize grease for SS or anything hi-temp is OKS-250 grease.

SS welds itself over time. It is called a chemical weld. It can also weld itself when being driven with an impact wrench. The heat from the mechanical effort seizes the bolt or nut and you're f***ed afterward.
Yea, galvanic corrosion was my primary concern.

Just as a general followup, I am still driving their 4Runner and I think we are going to toss an Odyssey in it and I am going to do the GM fuse trick. Battery show signs of having some sort of internal structural issue. It went flat in 4 days, meaning that the corroded terminals were a sign of a battery problem and not the problem themselves.

One of those NOCO GB40s saved the day, today. Odyssey came today as well as a new washer kit and battery grease/lube. Just waiting for the module to arrive before installing everything. Then I will wash, rinse, and repeat for the GX460

20230307_180047.jpg

Last edited:
Use anti-sieze on the threads as SS fasteners are prone to galling. Also don't make them super-hyper-mega-ultra tight (esp if you use anti-sieze on the threads).

Remember that the general rule of thumb is that when using anti-sieze reduce the torque by about 30 percent over 'dry fit'.

the OEM TOYOTA TRUE STARTS have the best warranty in the business

there made by INTERSTATE here in USA

plus , the TECH can install it ....

1679046618406.jpeg

1679046401839.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Use anti-sieze on the threads as SS fasteners are prone to galling. Also don't make them super-hyper-mega-ultra tight (esp if you use anti-sieze on the threads).

Remember that the general rule of thumb is that when using anti-sieze reduce the torque by about 30 percent over 'dry fit'.
Put it in a week ago and did all of those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom