SST for rear axle Seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I am rebuilding my Rear axle since I had to tear it down to inspect the axle and replace the studs. The book shows an SST is needed to get the metal plate off of the rear axle to replace the inner axle seal. Do I need one or has someone come up with another method. This is on a 77 FJ40.

Thanks

Ken

There's only one axle seal, and it has the metal shield part attached. Getting it out is the easy part - I think I usually use the back of a claw hammer to hook the metal shield and pry the whole thing out.

I've never invested in a seal driver kit, so I usually use a chunk of 2x4 with the 4" side trimmed to the diameter of the seal. Go slow and keep rotating the 2x4 until the seal is seated fully.

Piece of cake.

Thanks, went and rechecked the book and it uses the SST to put it back in. You have to use an SST to do the rear on an 80. So that plate with what looks like 6 holes is part of the seal and I can get it off with a claw hammer. Thanks

I can only add that that rear seal is no big deal. You will not need an sst. A socket of the right size works well, or just use a brass drift and work around the outside of the seal driving it into place.

here's a closeup shot of the rear axle for the pig with new bearings and seals. does yours look like this?
P7160002.JPG

nuclearlemon said:
here's a closeup shot of the rear axle for the pig with new bearings and seals. does yours look like this?

Yup, thats it! I'll take the old ones out in the AM.

Thanks everyone

thbe first piece is the seal...just a rubberized oil seal. then the bearing, then, the large piece sticking up above the rollers for the bearing is just a big thrust washer thing.l no washer that you have to pull to swap seals.

when installing the new rear seal, don't put oil on it like you would with the regualar metal seals and it may wobble around on you a bit...the rubber edges make it kinda a beatch to install, but it's fairly simple. for sst, i use a disc axle nut socket backwards.

Seal came right off. The new seal didn't look like that from the backside, now I know why. It was the wrong part number!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom