SSR Series Super Swamper Radial / TSL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just researching future decisions and I thought that I'd ask if anyone has any experience with the TSL Super Swamper Radial SSR.
I'm thinking of making the step to 35s and this looks like cool choice 'cause it's available in a 35x10.5x16.
http://www.intercotire.com/html/ssr_series.htm

Thanks,
:beer:
CJ

Search SSR and you'll find likely a bunch of posts. That is one of the few interco tires I'd avoid.

Now, give us some more info like is this for a second set of tires like trail only or a combo street/trail mix? You know it makes a huge difference.

So Junkster, why is this one of the Interco tires that you'd avoid?
This would likely be a street/trail combo tire. I'd like to switch to two sets of tires/wheels but I don't have the storage space. I'm currently running 285 MTRs and looking for something a bit more aggressive off road.

Basically I think they totally suck. They are the only Interco I've ever seen where there were tons of guys with sidewall issues. Christo's issues were with SSR's a few years back too. I've just seen a ton of them with slashed sidewalls. No surprise, they are a radial and that's what you get. It's just if you want a tough tire, then bias ply is the ticket. That said, you did leave out of your original post that you wanted a combo tire. You already have a combo tire with the frilly knickered out MT/R's, so why change? Just for size? If so, there are plenty of guys in this forum that would line up to buy used 285 tires, so it may not cost you that much. I'd also not put a heavy truck like the 80 on something as skinny as those you mentioned. For a heavy truck on the trail I like some contact. Then again, it all depends on what you want and where you wheel.

Would you try to put them on the stock 8" wheels or try to find something wider. I don't think there are very many (any) 16" X 10" steelies out there and if there are then you may have the other backspace/rubbing issues.

Bill

Junk - What Swamper would you recomend for 75% street/25% trail?

Bill,
I was thinking of trying the 10.5 inch wide tire on the stock 16x8 alloys. IIRC, the Interco site recommended a 10 inch rim for the 12.5 inch tires and I wanted to avoid the cost of a new set of rims.
:beer:

[quote author=phatairman link=board=2;threadid=13269;start=msg122595#msg122595 date=1079529982]
Junk - What Swamper would you recomend for 75% street/25% trail?
[/quote]

TrXus.

I've Run TSL Bias Plys, LTB's, TrXus and SSR's in the last 1.5 years.

For street avoid the Bias swampers. Balancing issues will drive you MAD. The TrXus is one of the most versatile tires I've ever run....decent sidewall strength, GREAT in ANY snow, great on rock...mud they're like any MT (BFG etc). I likened the SSR's to the BFG KM's I had right before them, but more expensive and better on the street in a snow storm. The center lugs have asipe all the way around and they impressed me in the snow. Off road on Rock the harder compound sucked compared to the Bias TSL's and LTB's.

If I had to run one, 75% on the street I'd run the trXus. Great all around tire.

My one and only experience with the SSR's was 37x12.5's on stock wheels. They did not stick in Moab, and broke complete lugs of the tires. Gave them back to Interco in the end. Robbie might want to comment on his LTB's. All in all, I don't think he is happy as well. If you want 75% street, I would look elsewhere than Interco. That said, I love the bias ply Swampers I have on the ShortBus. Pretty much industructable.

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=13269;start=msg122662#msg122662 date=1079539593]
My one and only experience with the SSR's was 37x12.5's on stock wheels. They did not stick in Moab, and broke complete lugs of the tires. Gave them back to Interco in the end. Robbie might want to comment on his LTB's. All in all, I don't think he is happy as well. If you want 75% street, I would look elsewhere than Interco. That said, I love the bias ply Swampers I have on the ShortBus. Pretty much industructable.
[/quote]

TSL Bias Plys are like heroin.

They make you feel amazing offroad, they are the best thing ever you think....then you drive them on the road...and it is full-on Dope Sickness....Till ya shoot the $hit again offroad, then it's all okay....

I guess Raidial MT's are methadone....

Hello and goodday: My experences with my 35 12.5 16 trxus have not been great. I have tried many pressures (from 20 psi tp42 psi), played with my toe in and out. Paid to have my front end aligned to try and chase the problem with the the fight I experence in the steering wheel at between 45-55 mph. The smoothest I have gotten it is to run tire pressure at 22 psi(handleing sucks). I have spent hours on the phone with a guy at interco and he keeps telling me he will take care of me (what ever that means). When I have run the tires at and above toyota reccommended pressures I get real violent steering fight at the above speeds. The tire balances well (4-6 oz) and keep the balance as long as they are not on the back when I wheel (they will rotate on the rim at lower pressures). I do like them off road better than MTR's, side wall much stiffer and better at fending off side wall problems. They do have a Nylon cap so they will flat spot in the mornings. I may have a bad set, I do know that I have one that is out of round. They do not wear well, you may only get 25-30 k miles out them. You will have to rotate them more frequently (like every 3k miles). So are they worth it as a daily driver, I do not think so. Would I put up with them on the weekend or for a long road trip. I do think so if I knew that I would be driving some tough stuff on the trip. I would like a better set of daily driver tires when I can afford them. so sweet and yet so sour. Later robbie

robbie,
i'm glad you chimmed in on the trxus tires because i was just searching about them. I was thinking either the trxus radials, or the procomp xterrains for 75% on road and 25 off. I have only spoken to one fellow that was running the trxus and he loved them. I did notice that they are a tad cheaper than the xterrains as well. Decisions. . decision. :doh:

My thoughts were: trxus radials, xterrains, or dunlop rover rv (i have seen these in action and was very impressed, they were on a locked k5 blazer, and the highway manner was great too) - oh, and i was looking at 33's.

What do you guys think of those three choices?

You need to think about the type of offraoding you do. Directional tires are not the best in slippery side hill stuff. Also if you plan on much mud the Xterrains are (from mag reports) that great for mud. I do not know any thing about the Dunlop. I think for daily driving Mud type tires, MTR are about the best, smooth I have seen some last over 70k miles. Not as tough side wall as the Interco stuff, But if taken care(mantain proper air pressure) of will last well over 50 kmiles. The only reason I went away from them was the 4 side wall stakes I had last year. But not many people that run them seem to have that many problems. Ther again I do not have any or know of any body that runs the Xterrian to say about the milage you might get out them or what they thought of them. later Robbie

CJ,
you might want to pm landtank as I believe he put on the xterrains. I hated mine but I believe in retrospect it was due to the prior owner of the truck not getting them balanced properly.
Dave

[quote author=robbie link=board=2;threadid=13269;start=msg122752#msg122752 date=1079551942]
Hello and goodday: My experences with my 35 12.5 16 trxus have not been great. I have tried many pressures (from 20 psi tp42 psi), played with my toe in and out. Paid to have my front end aligned to try and chase the problem with the the fight I experence in the steering wheel at between 45-55 mph. The smoothest I have gotten it is to run tire pressure at 22 psi(handleing sucks). I have spent hours on the phone with a guy at interco and he keeps telling me he will take care of me (what ever that means). When I have run the tires at and above toyota reccommended pressures I get real violent steering fight at the above speeds. The tire balances well (4-6 oz) and keep the balance as long as they are not on the back when I wheel (they will rotate on the rim at lower pressures). I do like them off road better than MTR's, side wall much stiffer and better at fending off side wall problems. They do have a Nylon cap so they will flat spot in the mornings. I may have a bad set, I do know that I have one that is out of round. They do not wear well, you may only get 25-30 k miles out them. You will have to rotate them more frequently (like every 3k miles). So are they worth it as a daily driver, I do not think so. Would I put up with them on the weekend or for a long road trip. I do think so if I knew that I would be driving some tough stuff on the trip. I would like a better set of daily driver tires when I can afford them. so sweet and yet so sour. Later robbie
[/quote]

Robbie, wow, that stinks!

As far as flatspotting, that is very odd....my TrXus never flatspotted and I'd never heard of any flatspotting at all to be honest...my TSL's and LTB's did. One thing I will certainly say....Interco's quality control SUCKS. What BFG or Good Year would toss out as Out of round, Interco seems to keep. It does sound like you have a bad tire or tires. as for wear, I got 45k from mine and have a neigbor with 53k on his with legal tread still left....but I think this just points back to lack of quality control.

When I sold the last rig I swore I'd never touch swmpers again for daily driving...and I just went and nearly bought some 34x9.5 TSL's for my rig today! It's a sickness. Those who need a swamper off road will put up with the crap on road often. I just dunno if I can stay away!

RJ

robbie and rj, just wondering which truxxus your running, mt's or sts?

ive got the mts, and they seem to be wearing well. Ill check the mileage out later and get back with it.
Drive pretty smooth on the highway, are a little louder than the at tires that were on there, but fixed that with the roof rack noise :D

[quote author=thorvald link=board=2;threadid=13269;start=msg122808#msg122808 date=1079555677]
robbie and rj, just wondering which truxxus your running, mt's or sts?

ive got the mts, and they seem to be wearing well. Ill check the mileage out later and get back with it.
Drive pretty smooth on the highway, are a little louder than the at tires that were on there, but fixed that with the roof rack noise :D
[/quote]

We ran the MT's on most of the rigs....mine really were super.

RJ

Curran,
While their site says that 10" rims may be needed for 12.5" tires, I and many others think that is hogwash. I run 13" on my factory rims and know of guys running 14.5" wides on them too.

For something mainly street, stick with all terrainish tires like the BFG AT/KO or the mt/r. Remember that this is obviously a comprimise since the best offroad tires suck on highway and highway tires suck on trail.

I would not buy a radial from interco.

FWIW i run 37x17x9 SSR's and am really pleased can actually go 80 and is a GREAT ride .. i dont daily drive it but mine are grooved and all balanced with in 4 oz. off road i have had great luck but have not been in HOT heat and needed something super sticky, moslty winter wheeling and usually heat them up on rocks. My cuz runs the same tire (different size) on his HEAP and has really good luck as well.... it is a bit of a crapshoot with INTERCO because of the afformentioned qualtiy control issue(wich is only an issue if you have lots of road time). it sounds like and MTR (i loved mine) or a set of T'ruxs would be great (have seen good things from those as well on buddies rigs).......

one thing to take into account with those tires is that a SSR 35 is going to big alot bigger than most other 35's, myself I have the room, and was thinking of running the 35X12.5 if I decide not to try the 37's, anyway my buddy had the SSR's on his Tacoma and said they wore out way to fast, he now is happy with his BFG's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom