Squirtle build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kids named my new 62 'Squirtle' after their favorite blue Pokemon... I'm riding with it.

Picked up this 88 from the rusting beaches of Nantucket via Philly. When it arrived it was rusted in places I didn't know could rust, like along the edges of the fender next to the hood. My body guy who wants to do some trading was encouraging tho, so it's on!

I hope to document my progress on this thread.

End goal for this 62 is primarily for DD and back up to my 100 that is being built as a mild overlander, family adventure long range hauler. However, I make no promises about keeping the 62 on the road.

Plans include:
* knuckle job (parts care of Cruiser Outfitters)
* Frame off frame clean up and encapsulation
* Body rust repair and fresh paint
* New windscreen
* Baseline rest of mechanicals
* BMW front seats (power and heat)
* UV clear tint all around
* Refresh suspension shackles, springs and
Bilstiens and hoping for HST springs
* Clean up stock chrome rims
* Tall skinny ATs (32 or 33 x 9.5)
* Sliders and nerf bars
* Some deer armor up front
* Roof rack
* Repower?

IMG_20190707_170125.jpg

IMG_20190707_173243.jpg

IMG_20190707_173256.jpg

IMG_20190707_170014.jpg

IMG_20190707_165952.jpg

First question. Frame looks pretty good. A very comprehensive patina, but no rot through the rails.

However, there is this stuff going on in the frame channel behind the rear axle. It looks like flakey layers of rust pastry. What is this?

IMG_20190707_172126.jpg

Wow you and your body man have your work cut out for you. Whatever you have to trade I hope it's a lot. The flaky frame section is what we call the C-channel. Trail Tailor has a repair kit or used to:

Trail Tailor

Good luck and keep the thread up to date.

First question. Frame looks pretty good. A very comprehensive patina, but no rot through the rails.

However, there is this stuff going on in the frame channel behind the rear axle. It looks like flakey layers of rust pastry. What is this?

View attachment 2028435
Hahaha! And I thought mine was bad. Honestly the main section of C channel looks straight, it’s doesnt appear bowed out where the shackle mount rests. Don’t get ahead of yourself and add a new suspension to that or your liable to weaken those areas of the frame further. The inner channel is obviously crap. How’s it further in under the spring perches?

Thanks for the responses. Yes, this one is going to take some TLC to redirect. I'll be learning a lot as I go. I'm thankful fori y'all on mud for advice and occasionally laughter with/at my folly.

Hoping to get the pressure washer under here this weekend to get the dirt off, so I can better see what I'm dealing with.

I took a few more snaps of the rear frame section. It looks ok to me so far. I'll be interested in other thoughts. Also looks like removing the rotten c channel insert will be done more with a scraper than wrenches. Was this steel just a different grade from the factory? Any thoughts for why this is a bolt on insert rather than welded in? Welding seems a lot cheaper especially at scale in a factory.

In all cases, looks like Trail Tailor has a solution ready made for this problem. Adding to shopping list.

IMG_20190713_124454.jpg

IMG_20190713_124327.jpg

IMG_20190713_124427.jpg

IMG_20190713_124439.jpg

IMG_20190713_124344.jpg

Riveting was the way to put frames together in to the 1980s. (There is an insiders book about the Detroit auto industry called Rivethead. Good read.) Toyota was slow to make major changes anyway. I don't know but I would guess an 80 series frame is welded.

That sandwich of steel is a perfect spot to trap and hold moisture. I've not done it but search around here. Getting those old channels out is a real SOB. Be prepared for lots of cursing and throwing things if that's your style.

Willing to put money down that that area is rusted through. Ask me why I think that....

2D283EC2-5A52-48EE-B826-FDEABEE420FF.jpeg

Uh-oh. That doesn't sound fun. Cursing, swearing and throwing stuff. I'd like to think I've mellowed out. I guess this will be a test.

What did you do to fix the rot under the insert?

I haven't done it but have the replacement channels from Trail Tailor ready to go. Most find the parent steel under the c channels to be ok tho you might be welding.

Try searching "C channel replacement" or similar here. There's a couple of threads on it and the guys had a hell of a time with the rivets.

Ended up needing to buy a new pressure washer, as my hand-me-down died. Got the 2300psi Greenguy and put it up work. 2300psi is a big step from 1200. Blasted off the dirt and the loose scale as well as the gunk from the front Axel's and driver's hub. (Gunk.... I've got the Cruiser Outfitters rebuild kit waiting for install.). Not as much flaked off the frame as I expected. Here are a few shots.

Anything stand out?

IMG_20190722_213717.jpg

IMG_20190722_213730.jpg

IMG_20190721_202759.jpg

Looks like the frame might be OK under the C-channels. Think you're gonna have a fight getting those out. Hard to say but the frame is probably OK but you need to get it cleaned up and coated in order to save it in Ohio.

My truck came with the same tires BTW.

Brief update. Been busy with a lot of non-LC stuff.
After researching and getting bids and researching more, I kind of want to do the body restoration myself, including frame off frame clean up. I'll start with a quarter panel and see how it goes. If it is within my ability to do, I plan to build a rotisserie and go to town. First step is to get some mechanical bits baselined first.

Front axle needs a knuckle job and with the help of a 16 year old aspiring mechanic I know, finally got started on this. Good to get it going, though it's a little chilly in the barn now.

Was surprised to find that the snap ring on the hub was conspicuously missing. Implies someone has been in here before and didn't button it up right.

Note, image shows a lot of oil in the pan. To avoid any confusion, that didn't come from the axle, but from a diff fluid change on the hundy plus a little brake fluid from the 62.

IMG_20191214_143129.jpg

For anyone following or even remembers this thread, 2020 caught up with a vengeance. We decided to move back to the PacNW. After getting the front axle back together, work on Squirtle was put on hold.

Long story short, after lots of thought and a little luck, I went another way for my resto-mid project rig in the form of another '88 FJ62.

I had thought and daydreamed a long while about what to do with Squirtle. She was a mess, but my mess and I wanted to do right. Thoughts ranged from tackling the restoration after I finish Eva, linked above, to turning it into a Ute or camper to keeping it as a parts rig to use and sell off bits.

In the end, Squirtle will find new life, whole, with a new owner. I was sad to see it go. I miss not seeing it in the driveway. But I'm glad someone else has picked it up and I hope to be able to follow the build on another thread.

Onward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom