Squirrels snacked on my wiring... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says, I went out of town for about 2 weeks and came home to a dead battery. Popped the hood to find a nest of baby squirrels in the back of the engine bay right under the master cylinder.

I was able to convince the squirrels to move out without much trouble then cleaned out the nest they left behind. Once I started the car I instantly got P0031 and P0051 which seemed odd because I just replaced the A/F sensors less than 6 months ago. So I looked a little closer at the squirrels eviction site and this is what I saw.

20220307_181917.jpg
20220307_181941.jpg
20220307_181835.jpg

The big circle is where the real damage is, right under that bunch of wires coming off the master. That wire runs into a connector and a small fuse box with fuses/relays for the air pump and the A/F heater.

The small circle shows it looks like they chewed the hood release cable (no big deal) and the other wire coming out of the firewall which I am unsure what it is.

Am I totally screwed? Or is this somehow repairable? I think it's beyond my skillset to repair unless I can somehow bypass that fuse box while getting rid of the CEL

I don't think I'm good enough with wiring to try and fix that. Between the fact that it connects into the main harness, it looks like they chewed through multiple wires coming from that connector its more than I can handle.

Is this something that a shop would say is unrepairable and tell me I need a whole new harness? I'm sure the dealership would say that

Try and remove some outer wrap of sheathing to expose any damaged wires. Checking each one by one for any broken strands on each wire- those if more than a few strands damaged I would try and splice new wire inline. Anything with exposed wire but unbroken, treat with a few sparing applications of liquid tape. See how it works. If successful re wrap that sheathing with some Tesa heat resistant tape and drive it.

Worst case is you have to replace wire harness (start looking at junkyards now for a harness.

I don't think I'm good enough with wiring to try and fix that. Between the fact that it connects into the main harness, it looks like they chewed through multiple wires coming from that connector its more than I can handle.

Is this something that a shop would say is unrepairable and tell me I need a whole new harness? I'm sure the dealership would say that
Definitely repairable. The cost can get a little crazy though. Coincidentally my sister in law just had mice chew through her wiring and got the estimate today. $5k. Good thing she has comprehensive coverage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom