Squeezing more out of the 4.6L V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've had a GX470, and a 5.7L Tundra and I will say that owning a GX460 with the 4.6L has kind of made me miss both of them. The low end grunt that I'm used to I just don't get out of the 4.6L so I'm out to see what I can squeeze out it to help kick it in the rear.

My truck is a 2011 base model with 92k miles on it and is my daily driver.

Covering the basics: (aka cheap stuff, none of these are big HP mods)

1. Swapped out the factory long life iridium spark plugs for a set of NGK IX series iridium plugs. I was getting close to the 100k service interval anyway.

I can see some of you scratching your heads at this point.

The IX series iridium plug use a different style ground electrode to help keep the spark from being shrouded from the incoming mixture, helping the fuel charge ignite faster. (If you're ever bored spark plug tech is crazy!)

2. Swapped out the Air filter for an AFE Pro Dry drop in filter (I don't use oiled filters in MAF equipped cars) and removed the Hydrocarbon trap (the filter stuck to the inside of the air box lid)

I know the Hydrocarbon trap removal is a much debated thing but if BASF thinks it effects HP and MPG they probably have the research to back it up. They state this here as they have come up with a better way to do it.

3. Exhaust is next. The exhaust system of this thing is bottleneck and a half. Yes I understand noise is a big concern for the engineers but this qualifies as the minimum piping diameter needed not to completely strangle the engine. Since I live in CA I am limited but there are ways around it legally.

Just Ideas at this point:

There are CARB approved shorty headers for the 4.6L Tundra which would enable me to get rid of the one piece log style manifold / catalytic converter and run the Tundra front converters. I would have to have the paperwork to show I "swapped" a same year or newer Tundra 4.6L into the GX. This would allow me to redesign the cat-back to a larger diameter, free flowing design.

If any of you have managed to get a little more go out of the 4.6L I'd love to hear about it.

$15k retail and discontinued as of 5 years ago

Still $15-17k, for that kind of money I'll swap it to a 5.7L and figure out the tuning issues.

I like where your head's at OP!

I love what DirtyDeeds has done with long tube headers + full exhaust for the 5.7L Tundra. Adding ~50hp + 80tq is no joke.

Maybe not that much left on the table with the 4.6L but even half that gain would be nice.

Too bad about the supercharger. You know that stuff is just lying around at Toyota HQ and they could easily do it/make it available again. Oh the resources at their disposal!!!

I'm guessing retrofitting DI components wouldn't be anywhere near cost effective; again, too bad Toyota doesn't decide to just add it to the 4.6L moving forward as part of a "re-fresh" of the GX. It actually makes sense, no one has perfected the art of rolling out the same old product (AND it still selling well) than Toyota.

Rumor has it the next GX/4Runner/Prado chassis will be unibody and a possible hybrid. :(

I've talked with a few tuners who are working on software to tune the 4.6 and they have all said the factory ECU will not deal with a boosted engine like the 5.7 ECU does.

I'll be honest I am looking at the 5.7 TRD supercharger closely as I think it will fit on the 4.6 but will require some creative engineering to get it to work right.

What about adjusting the position of the top-dead-center sensor to advance timing a bit (say 5 degrees)

If you could offset the crank angle sensor it could work. Although you would have to offset the cam sensors equally. I'll have to log the ignition advance to see how much further we could go.

I'm sure a full tuning solution would be ideal to get maximum power out of these engines but good luck finding that. I feel like the most you'll be able to do is modify the intake and exhaust system. Even still, there are going to be adverse effects of doing that I'm sure. My bone stock rig gets like 15mpg... I don't see any power mod helping that. LOL

From just the plugs, air filter and charcoal trap removal i averaged 2mpg better than my last tank and it sounds cooler now :rofl:

I'm sure a full tuning solution would be ideal to get maximum power out of these engines but good luck finding that. I feel like the most you'll be able to do is modify the intake and exhaust system. Even still, there are going to be adverse effects of doing that I'm sure. My bone stock rig gets like 15mpg... I don't see any power mod helping that. LOL

There is a tuning solution out there but they are finalizing the 4.6 tunes for Tundra first.

Last edited:
I got a Pedal Commander - literally a kick in the butt! It reduces the lag time to accelerate vehicle when pressing on the pedal. It does not increase power, just getting up there quicker - like a jolt. Worth my money - check out bunch of YT videos. I personally glad I have mine, set at City +2 and +4 is more than enough acceleration for me - YMMV. Something to consider. Test it out, you can always return it.

Last edited:
I’ve had good results from the Sprint Booster 3. Similar to Goodtogo’s results with the Pedal Commander. That being said, I would still purchase a tuner if one was available. My hope would be to get some better low end torque out of the 4.6.

I’m all for more power if it’s easily available. Forced induction usually only works good if the engine came from the factory with turbos or a supercharger. In an NA engine it’s just not worth it to me to put on a supercharger or turbo on the 460. The reasoning I have behind it is our engines have a much higher compression ratio than a factory FI engine. In order to get the most out of a supercharger or turbo set up you would need to decrease the compression ratio to something like 8:5:1. Increasing the fuel system along with all other supporting mods to get the most out of FI just doesn’t make financial sense. By the time your done with the mods to get to the power level you desire you would have emptied out your bank account. If you have disposable income and don’t mind tossing $15,000 to the wind go for it!

1. Swapped out the factory long life iridium spark plugs for a set of NGK IX series iridium plugs. I was getting close to the 100k service interval anyway.

I can see some of you scratching your heads at this point.

The IX series iridium plug use a different style ground electrode to help keep the spark from being shrouded from the incoming mixture, helping the fuel charge ignite faster. (If you're ever bored spark plug tech is crazy!)

ChiTown, I'm interested in reading up on spark plug technology. Where did you find the information about the NGK IX series plugs? Also, now that you've had them in the car for almost a year, do you still like them? What's your gas mileage like now? Still better than before you made the swap?

Any more power mods since this post?

:popcorn:

I think doing the air intake and Exhaust may do some justice. Toyota has really subdued the sound of the V8. That may be a good way to go.

@tortoiseracing I did a bunch of plug research for a different project a few years back, I'll see if I can find the link for you.

The plugs have been great although I have had issues with injectors which seems to be popping up more often especially in the tundras with the 4.6

I have been sidetracked with other projects so I haven't had time to tinker with the GX in a bit but I have found a tuner who can do the 4.6 ECU so I may give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom