Squealing sound at start(only at start) after changing TB and many other parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had the TB, fan clutch, fan clutch bracket, serpentine belt and many other parts changed. I had bought a new serpentine belt tensioner but the new part was damaged so the mechanic just re-installed the old part. Now every time I start it, there’s a squealing for a brief time and then it stops. It sounds like a squealing belt. Any thoughts or ideas? Is it just a squealing belt? Could it be the old tensioner? It never squealed like this before, though…..

1999 100 series RHD

Did you use OEM or AISIN parts?

Are you able to take it back to the person who repaired it for them to diagnose?

Take a video and post it? You could try to remove the serpentine belt and start it to see if it is related to your accessories or serpentine tensioner.

Great idea!
The tensioner could definitely be a possible cause of your issue. Sometimes on original tensioners of 20+ years the little metal collar in the pulley crumbles apart and it could cause some problems. Mine fell apart when I removed it.

If you have a 14mm socket you could put it on the tensioner bolt and turn it to the left. This will take the tension off the belt. It should feel smooth yet provide enough resistance to spring back and hold tension on the belt. Be careful doing this as to not pinch your fingers or wrench in the tight space and don't break anything while leaning into the engine bay.

If it feels gritty / grindy/ not smooth OR if it doesn't have much resistance this could be your problem.

Otherwise, you will have to remove the belt and start the engine. If the noise goes away then you know it's related to your accessory belt components. If the noise does not go away then it's related to your timing belt components.

PS - You could also check for grease or dirt on the belt of pulley areas, make sure it's all cleaned up and nothing is slipping

99% chance that's drive (serpentine) belt pulley(s) bearing(s) and or belt.

I ended up taking the serpentone belt off…….no squeal, which means it wasn’t any of the TB parts. I put the old serpentine belt that was on before I changed the TB…….NO SQUEAL! It must have been the new Gates serpentine belt that had been installed!

I ended up taking the serpentone belt off…….no squeal, which means it wasn’t any of the TB parts. I put the old serpentine belt that was on before I changed the TB…….NO SQUEAL! It must have been the new Gates serpentine belt that had been installed!
Hopefully that's all it is , report back after a week or two .I'd be curious if the belt was the only problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom