Squealing noise from steering, but only with aftermarket AC on, and steering is getting hard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi guys! I searched the forum but I could only find solutions to parts of my problem, not the big problem together.. Here are my findings, divided by situations,I hope you can help me!

-AC OFF: Steering doesn't cause any noise.
-AC ON: Steering causes squealing noise, lasting for the whole duration of almost every steering maneuver. When the AC kicks in automatically, it squeals for the first 5 or 6 seconds.

I noticed that when I turn the AC on, the compressor pulley spins very slowly, hence the squealing, then it catches up the speed and doesn't squeal anymore.

I don't know it the steering noise comes from the compressor pulley or from the steering pulley, I didn't manage to replicate it with a friend on the wheel, but is obviously happens 100% of the times I'm alone and can't check, maybe I'll try with a camera.

The belt that I have is one of those belts with teeth, while the pulleys (AC and PS) are smooth, can this cause the sliding and the subsequent noise?

The steering is incredibly hard, but I have no leaks in the reservoir. The strange part is that as soon as I refill the reservoir, the steering is buttery smooth and light, and no noise come from the compressor, but after 1 day the steering is hard again and the noises are super loud. The steering being soft when I replace the fluid (AT fluid) makes me think that it's not a steering box problem.

Maybe a faulty steering pump? Maybe I should use a smooth belt? Maybe replacing the pulleys with "teethed" ones will solve the problem?

I also think that the hard steering might be caused by the belt sliding on the power steering pulley, but only making noise when the AC is on (for some weird reason), or never making noise, and the noise always comes from the AC compressor that (for some weird reason) also squeals when the power steering is engaged.

If someone had a similar issue and solved it, can you please explain to me like you would explain to a 5 year old? :happy:

I hope I explained clearly, English is not my first language..!
Thank you very much
IMG_20220524_163847.jpg
IMG_20220524_163907.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! A picture of the configuration of your belts will surely help those here who may help.

IMO that ac comp does not have enough belt wrap, have you removed belt and checked operation of the pump & comp ? There are no "teethed"pulleys for that belt, the "teeth" are there to facilitate the belt wrapping around the pulleys.

Oh yeah, you said the comp goes slow then catches up, not a thing when talking belt driven, that means the belt is slipping, pull upon that steering pump more tension. Be carefull, too much tension will fry the bearings, it is not much different between, loose and squealling, running good, and to tight, fry bearings. You willfind a happy spot, also , check your belt it could be glazed and need replacement. If it has been squealling as much as you say I would change that belt. The squealling tends to polish, or glaze the belt which leads to worse squealling.

Oh yeah, you said the comp goes slow then catches up, not a thing when talking belt driven, that means the belt is slipping, pull upon that steering pump more tension. Be carefull, too much tension will fry the bearings, it is not much different between, loose and squealling, running good, and to tight, fry bearings. You willfind a happy spot, also , check your belt it could be glazed and need replacement. If it has been squealling as much as you say I would change that belt. The squealling tends to polish, or glaze the belt which leads to worse squealling.
Yes yes, the belt is slipping! I will have to try with some good garages and adjust the tension to the sweet spot. I did all the work in a cheap garage and now I'll have to solve all the little problems they caused...... The belt is not glazed (yet) because it's brand new, I installed the compressor 3 weeks ago. Unless it's a matter of QUALITY of the belt, but I would like to try before to adjust the tension. Thank you!

I am still concerned that the comp does not have enough belt wrap on the pulley

I am still concerned that the comp does not have enough belt wrap on the pulley
aaah, you mean that it doesn't "touch" enough? maybe I should make a sort of serpentine? because there are no other places where the compressor could be fitted :(

I see that, I would ask the question here on the board as to what others have for a position and belt route for their ac comp on a 2f ?
I am supprised no one has chimed in on that note.

I see that, I would ask the question here on the board as to what others have for a position and belt route for their ac comp on a 2f ?
I am supprised no one has chimed in on that note.
Maybe I just have a crappy or not tensioned enough belt and I'm the only one who has this problem

Like Peesalot mentioned, the small amount of belt wrap on the PS and the AC seems lacking and I am guessing the layout is not stock. I am also guessing that the AC was added on later making use of the two-groove crank pulley when it should have had a third groove for an AC compressor. My guessing is derived from images found "HERE" and “HERE”.

You're right on everything! In these days I'll check if it's possible to modify the pulleys positions to install 3 belts, or maybe add another pulley so it can make a sort of serpentine and wrap better the other 2!
Like Peesalot mentioned, the small amount of belt wrap on the PS and the AC seems lacking and I am guessing the layout is not stock. I am also guessing that the AC was added on later making use of the two-groove crank pulley when it should have had a third groove for an AC compressor. My guessing is derived from images found "HERE" and “HERE”.

180 degrees of belt wrap would be more ideal for an off road vehicle because every time your tire comes up against a rock that wants to turn the tire while you are holding the steering wheel straight ahead, the pump will come under more pressure to stall, consequently constant belt slip/squeak all day long.

180 degrees of belt wrap would be more ideal for an off road vehicle because every time your tire comes up against a rock that wants to turn the tire while you are holding the steering wheel straight ahead, the pump will come under more pressure to stall, consequently constant belt slip/squeak all day long.
I'll check with the garage if it's possible. I don't see space for a 3rd belt so far, so maybe the serpentine will be the only solution. I have a steering damper for the rocks problem..! 😁
I've put the belt conditioner. It still slips but at least for now the noise problem is solved, let's see if it lasts

I think your larger tires and rocks will have that steering dampener for lunch.,

I think your larger tires and rocks will have that steering dampener for lunch.,
I have standard tires and do very light offroad with the fj45, so no problem. I honestly don't even know how people can offroad with a Fj40/fj45...! The 1st gear goes maximum to 20km/h, shifting from 1st to 2nd basically makes the car stop because of the friction of the sand. And after 5 minutes the temperature is to the roof!! Maybe it can be used in low gear for rock crawling in cool weather, but here in UAE we do dune bashing and I would need a speed and agility that the fj45 doesn't have (that's why I use my fj cruiser for that)

The two most power robbing accessories to spin are power steering and ac,, and you're trying to spin them with 1 belt.

When in low range folks usually don't shift thru the gears. They pick gear and start from there. My normal trail gear in the southern Ohio is 3rd low Range. My driveline is modified, so yours maybe different.

Trying to think of an alternative layout with only two grooves. PS pump would have to move back, and AC compressor would need to be adjustable. It would give ya a little more wrap.

Belt Layout 02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom