Squealing in reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a 91 cruiser and just noticed a loud screeching when I’m reversing, the kicker is when I am still rolling backwards in neutral the sound goes away. And it doesn’t matter if I’m on the brakes or off. Any ideas? I also wouldn’t be surprised if it is the rear brakes but it just doesn’t make sense when I put it in neutral and the sound goes away.

There was a TSB for the later trucks. Sounds like the same thing though...weird

"Chatter noise" = absolutely horrible screech, IMO

1589208423034.png

There was a TSB for the later trucks. Sounds like the same thing though...weird

"Chatter noise" = absolutely horrible screech, IMO

View attachment 2302462
Unfortunately, that's for the A343 in the 95+ trucks.

OP has a 91 with the A440.

Maybe @jonheld can adive or point in the right direction.

This transmission is completely hydraulic so he will probably ask about fluid changes and cable adjustment on ALL cables.

If you haven't, you may want to consider those things first.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if it is the rear brakes but it just doesn’t make sense when I put it in neutral and the sound goes away.
This sentence jumps out at me. What's going on with your rear brakes?
You need to localize the sound. Where is it coming from? Let's start with that before we rebuild your transmission ;)

How long have you owned this truck?
What is the maintenance history?
Have you checked the easy things first like fluid levels?

This sentence jumps out at me. What's going on with your rear brakes?
You need to localize the sound. Where is it coming from? Let's start with that before we rebuild your transmission ;)

How long have you owned this truck?
What is the maintenance history?
Have you checked the easy things first like fluid levels?
I’ve had it for about 3 years and put around 30,000 miles on it, it sits around 220,000. I’ve done oil changes with filters, kept the trans and diffs filled to proper and had a brake rebuild about 20,000 miles ago but I don’t know if they replaced the rear shoes, I can’t tell where exactly the sound is coming from but it sounds more mid to rear. I’m planing on taking the rear drums off but I haven’t had time yet

Have someone who is familiar with automotive mechanics stand outside the vehicle and help you pinpoint the noise while you reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom