squeaky ac compressor

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by whodat, Jul 26, 2005.

1. whodat

whodat

Media:
    Albums:
    Does a squeaky compressor mean that its days are limited? Can I oil it or something? wd

2. 92FJ

92FJ

Try WD-40 or similar on the belts. Does the a/c blow cold ait or have you noticed a change?? I could mean that its about to go

3. LoneStar

LoneStar

Check the AC belt tensioner pulley. For over a year I had a whine I thought was from the bearings going out on the compressor. About a month ago, the evening before we were leaving on a weeks vacation of course, the compressor belt went. I thought the compressor had finally locked up, but upon further inspection it turned out to be the adjustment pulley. The lockbolt must have been way overtightened the last time I had the belts changed. It was a major pain to get off. The next moring I got the only pulley in the Dallas area and was on the road just a few hours behind schedule. Much quieter now and much lighter on the wallet than replacing the compressor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.