Squeaks, rattles, clunks, and other noises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw a thread like this on another forum and figured one would be nice here. What are the common sources for squeaks, rattles, bangs, creaks, clunks, etc. on our cruisers? Additionally, what fixes have you found successful in fixing them? I'll start with a few. Worn drive flanges, worn ujoints, and ungreased (or overgreased) driveline splines can cause drivetrain-related clunks when taking off or stopping. The fix is to replaces worn components and clean/regrease driveline splines with moly grease. I also had a little rattle coming from my center console and glove box. I fixed those rattles by cutting out small square of 1/8" self-adhesive foam and sticking them where the console lid and glove box closed. Let's hear what other squeaks and rattles people have experienced and how they fixed them.

I just wrapped up adding soundproofing to the floorboards, inside door panels and quarter panels. I have yet to take it on a drive (still have items to button up) but removing all the interior and has given me access to loose bits and things inside the bottom of the doors, bottom of the quarter panels, change etc. under the center console. Dropped the headliner and checked all the hardware on the sunroof (had some loose nuts)

I did the bicycle tube fix for the sunroof glass and not it fits significantly tighter and it doesn't rattle.

Adjust the rubber stops on the inside of the hood so they put pressure on the hood to keep it from rattling & shaking.

Adjust the rear tailgate and hatch so they have a nice snug fit when closed together.

Elec runs that had fallen off the secure tabs inside the D-Pillar.

Replacing the gaskets on the fender flares too, the hardware had loosened up a little over time and possibly that could have been a little squeak at low speed/ off camber...ill find out.

I havent replaced them yet, but my windows will rattle unless they're fully closed and I think that gets solved with new window runs.

Maybe check the muffler bearings too, lube as necessary......

I just wrapped up adding soundproofing to the floorboards, inside door panels and quarter panels. I have yet to take it on a drive (still have items to button up) but removing all the interior and has given me access to loose bits and things inside the bottom of the doors, bottom of the quarter panels, change etc. under the center console. Dropped the headliner and checked all the hardware on the sunroof (had some loose nuts)

I did the bicycle tube fix for the sunroof glass and not it fits significantly tighter and it doesn't rattle.

Adjust the rubber stops on the inside of the hood so they put pressure on the hood to keep it from rattling & shaking.

Adjust the rear tailgate and hatch so they have a nice snug fit when closed together.

Elec runs that had fallen off the secure tabs inside the D-Pillar.

Replacing the gaskets on the fender flares too, the hardware had loosened up a little over time and possibly that could have been a little squeak at low speed/ off camber...ill find out.

I havent replaced them yet, but my windows will rattle unless they're fully closed and I think that gets solved with new window runs.

Maybe check the muffler bearings too, lube as necessary......
Blinker Fluid cause a lot of squeeking

I've been curious if replacing the body mounts would have any effect on overall NVH in the cabin. At 335k miles, my truck makes a lot of noise over just about any bump. At this point, I'm have replaced or am in the process of replacing just about every piece of rubber in this damn thing, but haven't found enough info on body mounts to determine whether it's worth the effort.

It's also got a lot of loose crap in the glovebox, center console bin, door pockets, etc that probably isn't helping.

I've been curious if replacing the body mounts would have any effect on overall NVH in the cabin. At 335k miles, my truck makes a lot of noise over just about any bump. At this point, I'm have replaced or am in the process of replacing just about every piece of rubber in this damn thing, but haven't found enough info on body mounts to determine whether it's worth the effort.

It's also got a lot of loose crap in the glovebox, center console bin, door pockets, etc that probably isn't helping.
I'd assume just like motor mounts as those body mounts get old/hard and dry they quit absorbing movement and make for a harsher ride...

I have a fairly new rattle just above the passenger side door. I was convinced i had left a wrench on roof seam but there was nothing. Then i thought maybe i had dropped something on the sunroof rails but again nothing. It's starting to do my head in to the point i am considering pulling the headliner back to investigate further but on a '94 messing with the headliner usually ends in tears.

I have a fairly new rattle just above the passenger side door. I was convinced i had left a wrench on roof seam but there was nothing. Then i thought maybe i had dropped something on the sunroof rails but again nothing. It's starting to do my head in to the point i am considering pulling the headliner back to investigate further but on a '94 messing with the headliner usually ends in tears.
Maybe Grab handles? Or the top of the B pillar moving around?

Definitely not grab handles but now you are scaring me with your 2nd option.o_O is that a common thing?

The nuts that hold the air cleaner plumbing to the inner passenger fender seem to loosen up on mine every couple years. Makes a hell of a noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom