Squeaks in reverse only (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1996 L/C and when I back up in reverse I get a squeak, squeak, over and over. It does not make the noise in Drive. While in reverse and I throw it in Neutral the noise will go away but will come back as soon as I put it back in reverse. What could it be?

Does it make a ting sound or anything when you put it in reverse but arn't moving? Does it sound like it is coming from a wheel or the center of the vehicle?

No ting, just a squeak, squeak, squeak.... It makes no sound while sitting still..only in reverse. It "seems" like it is coming from the wheel. I called my mechanic and the first thing he said was u-joint.

U-joint.

Sent from my C771 using IH8MUD

My F150 does that ,had it checked was the brakes?

X3

I had this exact issue last year. It was the front drive shaft at the rear u-joint. It was almost completely seized. At first it only did it in reverse...then over a few months it did at low speed in drive. I swapped in a lower mileage spare drive shaft with a good u-joint and that was the end of the squeak.

U-joint.

Sent from my C771 using IH8MUD

tim.korn.99 said:

x3

Seized joints first start making noise in reverse.
Grease it up to see if the noise goes away. If not, remove the shaft and check the joints by wiggling them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom