Squeaking Noise When U-Turning Right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed a small "squeak" when I turn the wheel hard to the right (like during a u-turn) and then when I start to turn it back to the left out of the u-turn. Anyone know what this could be? 2021 HE with 14k miles. Think it's OK to leave it be until my next scheduled service at 20k miles? Doesn't seem too loud but just noticed it today when driving with my music off.

Noticed a small "squeak" when I turn the wheel hard to the right (like during a u-turn) and then when I start to turn it back to the left out of the u-turn. Anyone know what this could be? 2021 HE with 14k miles. Think it's OK to leave it be until my next scheduled service at 20k miles? Doesn't seem too loud but just noticed it today when driving with my music off.
At the bottom of the steering knuckles on the front and back you’ll see some metal bumps that line up with scoops on the front and back of the lower control arm. These are intended to provide protection to the steering rack at the limit of the steering throw.

Thing is they can get pretty squeaky as they corrode slightly. Will only happen at the steering stops and with movement of the vehicle or suspension.

You can try smearing a little grease on the scoop and bump. Should quiet it down nicely. Even some oil if you don’t have any grease, but it won’t last nearly as long.

Been meaning to put a thread together about this for a while.. maybe soon.

At the bottom of the steering knuckles on the front and back you’ll see some metal bumps that line up with scoops on the front and back of the lower control arm. These are intended to provide protection to the steering rack at the limit of the steering throw.

Thing is they can get pretty squeaky as they corrode slightly. Will only happen at the steering stops and with movement of the vehicle or suspension.

You can try smearing a little grease on the scoop and bump. Should quiet it down nicely. Even some oil if you don’t have any grease, but it won’t last nearly as long.

Been meaning to put a thread together about this for a while.. maybe soon.
Should they be corroding on a 2021 with 14k miles? I’ll take a look under the car tomorrow and see if I can’t find them and lubricate them. If I can’t do you think I’ll be doing any more damage by driving another 6k miles until my next service and having the mechanic do it? It’s not like I’m making hard rights often.

Should they be corroding on a 2021 with 14k miles? I’ll take a look under the car tomorrow and see if I can’t find them and lubricate them. If I can’t do you think I’ll be doing any more damage by driving another 6k miles until my next service and having the mechanic do it? It’s not like I’m making hard rights often.
Yeah, they will corrode, and it won’t hurt anything. Both parts are painted when new but the friction on contact will quickly take care of that. The only way to keep them painted is to never turn your steering to the stop on either side!

It really isn’t anything to worry about. The grease simply addresses a minor annoyance. I’ll get a picture of the stops on mine in a couple hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom