squeaking, creaking and rattling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With hearing aids turned off my LC runs like dream, but with hearing aids on it squeaks, creaks and rattles like there's no tomorrow. One of the sources is above the doors. When I apply upward pressure to the FRP top on the driver's side while driving, the noise stops on that side. Does anyone know how to fix this permanently? Grease or glue or rubber where the FRP and steel meet?

Wow, based on the threads title I thought someone had recorded me getting out of bed this morning. 😊

Hello,

Apparently, the bolts that secure your top may be loose.

The top seal may need replacement.

This is a good excuse to take the top off, clean or replace the seal and put it back on.

You can apply some silicone sealant on the seal before putting the top back. Or, if you are lazy like me, you can apply silicone grease on the seal.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hello,

Apparently, the bolts that secure your top may be loose.

The top seal may need replacement.

This is a good excuse to take the top off, clean or replace the seal and put it back on.

You can apply some silicone sealant on the seal before putting the top back. Or, if you are lazy like me, you can apply silicone grease on the seal.

Hope this helps.

Juan
Thanks Juan, I had hoped I wouldn't need to take the top off. Seems like a massive job, but maybe a nice one for a hot summer's day. It's now midwinter here.

The hard part is getting access to the 20 bolts that hold the top.
The ones in the rollbar hoop are not that difficult to get to.

Is the roof weatherstrip easy to get, is that universal material or specific to the BJ73?

Is the roof weatherstrip easy to get, is that universal material or specific to the BJ73?

Hello,

The seal is 73/74 Series specific and is available from Toyota.

Juan

Last edited:
Thanks Juan, I had hoped I wouldn't need to take the top off. Seems like a massive job, but maybe a nice one for a hot summer's day. It's now midwinter here.

Hello,

The top bolts, all 20 of them, are accessible from the interior. You may need an extension for your socket.

In a nutshell:
  1. Take the side panels off.
  2. Take the FRP Top plates off.
  3. Take the four covers off the roll bar.
  4. Take off the covers of the rear corners.
  5. Remove the left trim pocket.
  6. Apply some silicone grease in the space between the top and the body.
  7. Tighten the bolts.
  8. Apply some oil in the space between the panels and the body.
  9. Put back the rear corner covers.
  10. Put back the left trim pocket.
  11. Put back the roll bar covers and FRP Top plates.
  12. Put back the side panels.

Juan

You said the rattle is above the doors and goes away when pushing up the FRP top?
Check whether it really is the FRP top and not the upper door frame. There is a bolt attaching the upper door frame to the windshield frame. It goes vertically from the top into the windshield frame and can only be reached by essentially removing the FRP-top; at least moving it a few inches backwards.
Here is a tutorial on how to remove the FRP top.

Cheers Ralf

Hello,

The top bolts, all 20 of them, are accessible from the interior. You may need an extension for your socket.

In a nutshell:
  1. Take the side panels off.
  2. Take the FRP Top plates off.
  3. Take the four covers off the roll bar.
  4. Take off the covers of the rear corners.
  5. Remove the left trim pocket.
  6. Apply some silicone grease in the space between the top and the body.
  7. Tighten the bolts.
  8. Apply some oil in the space between the panels and the body.
  9. Put back the rear corner covers.
  10. Put back the left trim pocket.
  11. Put back the roll bar covers and FRP Top plates.
  12. Put back the side panels.

Juan
Thanks again. I'll have a look when the weather gets better.

You said the rattle is above the doors and goes away when pushing up the FRP top?
Check whether it really is the FRP top and not the upper door frame. There is a bolt attaching the upper door frame to the windshield frame. It goes vertically from the top into the windshield frame and can only be reached by essentially removing the FRP-top; at least moving it a few inches backwards.
Here is a tutorial on how to remove the FRP top.

Cheers Ralf

Very nice, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom