Squeak or chirp when turing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I am Joe from southern Arizona,
this is my first post with my new to me 97 LX 450.

I have searched and can not find an answer or even a possible route to solve my noise. When going straight there is zero noise but when turning the wheel at all there is a distinctive chirp chirp chirp noise that is coming from somewhere in the front end until the wheel is turned back straight. The front end to include new birfs was rebuilt approximately 10k miles ago by a very reputable shop. If anyone can help point me in a direction I would appreciate it.

Have you checked your power steering fluid level?

Check wheel bearings for looseness. Check front panhard/track bar bushings and bolts. Check radius/control arm bolts for proper torque.

Is it tire squeal? A locked CDL or frozen VC (viscuous coupler) will cause the tires to 'chirp' when turning, especially on concrete. This puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain.

Odds are it is a brake pad dragging when you turn a corner.

Check wheel bearings (because they are known to come loose within 5000 miles, especially if they DID follow the FSM (and sometimes if they didn't).
Could also be no grease in the birfield knuckles
Could be the center differential is locked if it's tires chirping
Check the torque on your wheels
Do you have center caps on your wheels? If so, could be one that's loose.
Could be that there is a kids' toy on the floor in the back that rolls or makes noise when it rolls
Could be tools rubbing together when you turn
Could be seats vibrating against the back window when you turn.
Could be.......

Odds are it is a brake pad dragging when you turn a corner.

Check wheel bearings (because they are known to come loose within 5000 miles, especially if they DID follow the FSM (and sometimes if they didn't).
Could also be no grease in the birfield knuckles
Could be the center differential is locked if it's tires chirping
Check the torque on your wheels
Do you have center caps on your wheels? If so, could be one that's loose.
Could be that there is a kids' toy on the floor in the back that rolls or makes noise when it rolls
Could be tools rubbing together when you turn
Could be seats vibrating against the back window when you turn.
Could be.......
Definitely from the front and not tires. If the wheel is off center it chirps too so not thinking brakes. No center caps. Looks like I need to pull the wheels this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom